sixty.

everyone read postcard i'm finna cry i want to be hyped also? someone draw what u imagine sunny and kat to look like i'd sob!!!

dan.

dan shoved the last of his clothes in his ripped up bag, sighing and tucking the white sleeve into the pack. he didn't want to admit it, but he would really miss this place. it wasn't the most astonishing shelter, but it did the job, and just the memories of earl sleeping beneath their makeshift fort and talking with phil in the back room late at night tugged at dan's heart painfully.

"you okay?" kat's hand rested on dan's back and dan nodded stiffly.

"i'm great."

katrina rolled her eyes, busy stuffing her own things into her purple shoulder bag. "funny."

"not really."

he could feel her eyes on him. he could feel all of their eyes. he hated it. he wasn't one to dislike attention, but this... this just felt like pity for the boy with heartache. this felt like pity that dan had been so stupid and fell for someone who was clearly not suited for him, after they had all warned him not to. it felt like a softly spoken 'i told you so'. it made dan feel cold and closed off.

kat sighed and tried to touch him again but dan pulled away. "just- i'm fine, okay? i'm fine."

she raised her eyebrows in surprise but nodded slowly. "alright... but... it's okay not to be fine."

dan nodded and smiled stiffly. "how's sunny?" he just wanted to change the subject. his stony expression melted when he saw the way her face changed.

"well..."

"is something wrong?"

she shrugged half heartedly and went back to packing, avoiding dan's eyes. "no. not really."

"tell me." dan poked her side gently. he felt guilty for being cold toward her, she was just trying to help. she shrugged again.

"um..." she cringed. "i don't want you to feel bad, okay?"

"okay..." dan frowned. "i won't." that was a lie. he probably would.

"your thing with phil has kind of thrown us off track."

dan blinked. "what do you mean?"

"i mean..." she chewed on her lip. "i don't know. i think we're both stressed about it. and we're trying to figure out... if you guys hate each other, what are we meant to do, meet in secret?"

dan considered it. he hadn't thought of that, what were they going to do? it wasn't like dan was going to stop them from being together, but would phil? and would it just make it weird that both of their best friends wouldn't even talk to each other?

dan hated that his failed romance was affecting her when she'd done (almost) nothing but support him.

"i'm sorry, kat..."

"no, it's... it's okay." she smiled at him sadly. "we're both more concerned with you and phil."

"don't be." dan reached out and took her hand gently. "you have problems too, okay? and i'm sorry that my problems are making yours worse. is there any way i could help?"

"talk to phil," she said immediately, staring him down. dan sighed. as bad as he felt...

"i can't," dan mumbled. "he doesn't want to talk to me."

"are you kidding? that boy loves you. i think he'd have a heart attack if you were the one to start the conversation."

dan shook his head, his gaze falling to his feet. "he doesn't deserve that. i don't wanna coax him into it, he's not a baby. he should know what he did wrong."

"but-"

"kat." dan laughed dryly, looking up. "i'm finally taking your advice, okay? he's not right for me, he'll only end up hurting me."

kat smiled sadly, half crossing her arms and slumping her shoulders. "somehow, i'm not as happy as i thought i'd be."

dan's chest ached. he turned away, walking to the new guitar, which was leaning against the wall. it looked sad and alone sitting there in the empty space. dan grabbed it by the neck and swung it up into his arms, huffing. "i thought you didn't like him."

kat leaned against the desk. "i have my issues with him, but they shouldn't have anything to do with your feelings."

"why have you chosen now to come to your senses?"

kat laughed, smiling at him. "dan, i love you. i don't tell you enough that you're beautiful. you're talented, and gorgeous, and any boy would be goddamn lucky to be around you for ten minutes, let alone a lifetime. you're also so smart. i know you'll choose right when you choose someone to give your heart to."

it sounded like a greeting card, but it still made dan's stomach flutter happily. he smiled at her, genuinely.

"i'm so scared of picking wrong, katrina. and i do it so often."

she nodded slowly. "i know that. which is why i shouldn't be making your insecurity worse by telling you you're choosing wrong."

dan exhaled slowly. "it's a bit late for that."

she shook her head, her smile dropping. she pressed her lips together until they went white. "it's not."

dan frowned. "what d'you mean?"

kat grabbed her jacket from the top of her back and slung it off while dan watched, confused.

"are you going somewhere?"

"yeah." she grinned. "to phil's place."

dan raised his eyebrows, his eyes widening. "katrina..."

kat shushed him, pulling her hair out from under the jacket, letting it tumble over her shoulders. "i'll try and talk some sense into him, okay? i'm
not forcing anything, not anymore. but let me do this for you. if he makes you feel good, you deserve to be with him."

dan sighed, sitting down on the floor and resting his guitar in his lap. "okay."

katrina smiled at him happily, nodding.

"wish me luck."