thirty one.

listen im gonna write until my mom makes me go home lol

also important; this chapter is kind of sad and might be upsetting, i'm gonna give warnings but if u don't wanna be a little spoiled just skip them- also, ill put dashes like this --- before and after triggering parts so u can just skip them if u want, and i'll put a summary at the bottom :-) nothing is graphic, just wanted to warn u

warnings: mentions of suicide, ptsd, the army (nothing too descriptive)

-

dan.

he and phil had started a routine, and because of it, dan was drinking double the coffee in the morning and having afternoon naps just so he would stay awake.

at night, they talked. it had been sparked by the sleepless nights right after the hospital trip, but now it was an every night occurrence.

it wasn't to say that they didn't talk during the day; they did. but it wasn't the same. at night, they really talked. dan found himself thinking during the day about the things he wanted to ask him, things he wanted to get his opinion on. it was easier to talk during the night, and dan could blame it all on sleep deprivation.

that afternoon phil caught dan getting a full mug of coffee, and gave him a look, leaning against the counter to watch him.

"won't that keep you up?" he asked, but he wasn't really asking. he was teasing him. dan had to stop himself from giggling, jesus. who was he becoming?

"oh, that's what i'm counting on," dan told him, taking a sip, the mug trapped between his hands. "if not i can always get more."

phil tutted, shaking his head, but he couldn't hide the grin tugging at the corner of his lips. "wow, what would your mother say?"

dan snorted. "probably, fuck you, dan, for everything you can't help."

phil chuckled, reaching past him to get his own mug. "i'll drink to that."

when phil left, only then dan realized katrina had been watching them. she grabbed his sleeve, staring at him. "dan, oh my god, you cannot tell me you aren't sleeping with him."

dan choked. "i'm not."

"bullshit." her gaze cut into him, trying to find the truth. "you two just fucked in front of me. with your words."

dan laughed, shaking his head. "kat, i'm not sleeping with him." for some reason, he didn't want to tell her about the night discussions. he wasn't guilty- it just felt private.

"okay..." she spoke slowly, searching his face, her eyes narrowed. "good..."

dan nodded, swallowing and pushing past her, his face flushed. he hadn't been lying, but still... her questions made him nervous.

that night, after kat and nina were definitely asleep and the shelter was blanketed in silence, dan snuck back to the storage room.

the main lights weren't on, but a single bulb hanging from the ceiling was switched on, bathing the room in pale yellow light. phil was leaning against a shelf, sitting in a bundle of blankets, a book balanced on his knee. dan grinned and closed the door quietly behind him, and phil looked up, brightening.

he patted a pillow on the floor next to him, and dan sat, stealing a corner of phil's blanket for himself. phil had a way of making it feel like they weren't on the dingy concrete floor of a storage room just with his presence.