eighteen.

phil

phil frowned as the curly headed boy grabbed his sleeve and dragged him toward the door. phil stumbled in his shock, blushing and catching himself.

"what's going on?" he demanded, yanking his arm back. dan glared at him, pushing through the front door. phil grumbled under his breath, following reluctantly. dan was walking straight for phil's car without a word.

once dan had stood at the passenger door silently, watching phil expectantly, phil sighed and pulled his car keys out of his pocket. he unlocked the sleek black car and watched dan climb in, following suit after a second. he didn't know why he didn't just walk away, but something about it caught his interest. actually, dan did. when dan spoke, when dan moved, phil payed attention.

"are you gonna tell me where we're going now?" he grumbled, placing his hands on the steering wheel out of habit. dan chewed on his lip, a practice of his phil had started noticing.

"do you... know any drugstores nearby?"

phil raised his eyebrows. "yeah... but none of them are quality."

"quality?" dan looked at him as if he was from another planet.

"yeah. quality. as in, not shit."

"i know what quality means." dan crossed his arms and looked away from him. "all i need is cough medicine. i think? i don't know."

it hit phil hard- dan didn't know shit about this stuff. of course, when he had lived with his parents they must have bought the things he needed when he was sick, but he had never been able to buy anything like that during his time on the streets. there were so many little details like that that phil hadn't even considered. he bit his lip.

"alright. i know what you mean." he started the car and pulled out of the parking lot slowly. the good drugstores were all in the richer part of town, a bit of a drive away, but phil didn't mind and he had already decided to get the more effective medicine. he knew the kind his parents always got for him when he was sick, so he figured that would be a good bet.

dan was silent, his face turned toward the window. phil glanced at him a few times as they pulled onto the road. what was he so grumpy about?

"is it for nina?" he asked finally, unable to stand the thick air between them any longer. he instantly regretted it. dan's shoulders went stiff and his whole body shook for a split second like a tremor had hit him.

dan didn't answer for maybe a minute. "she's gonna die, you know," he muttered after the moment was over. his voice was almost angry, as if it was phil's fault. phil swallowed awkwardly.

"oh."

dan glanced at him, looking him over. "nothing to say to that?"

phil frowned, struggling to keep his eyes on the road. "what am i supposed to say to that, dan?"

dan rolled his eyes so hard that phil saw it out of the corner of his own. "maybe... i'm sorry your friend is dying?"

"everyone's dying."

dan scoffed loudly and looked away again, shaking his head. "you're so insensitive."

phil finally gave in and looked at him again, just for a second. "why are you picking a fight?"

"i'm not picking a fight," the boy mumbled. phil laughed harshly.

"yeah, you are. i'm driving you to buy medicine with my money, why are you so pissed at me?"

"i just don't like you," dan hissed abruptly, his voice rising. "okay? is that enough of an answer?"

phil flinched for some unknown reason and he tightened his jaw. "yeah, thanks. no shit."

dan huffed and looked back at whatever was so interesting out that god damn window. phil kind of wanted to break it. he took a deep breath. and another one. he watched the road for a few minutes and listened to dan's breathing before speaking again.

"i am sorry your friend is dying," he said softly, slowly, his eyes flickering over to him. "that really sucks, dan. i'm sorry."

dan grunted, his tongue flicking out to wet his lips. "i'll bet you've never lost someone."

"now why would you assume th-"

"because you're so fucking lucky, phil!" he shouted. dan turned in his seat entirely to face him, his eyes burning with anger. "you're so lucky to have the life that you have, and you don't even know it! you don't even appreciate it! you use your fortune to be a dick to everyone who has less than you-"

phil tried to absorb what dan was saying to him without crashing. he had never been an amazing driver. "why are you yelling at me?"

"because you're an asshole-!" dan's glare was so fierce, phil had never seen him even lose his chill, let alone do something like this toward anyone. "because you're hiring people just so you don't have to do a little bit of work, because you act like you're better than everyone, well look around, phil. no one likes you. you're an entitled brat, you're the equivalent to a child in a supermarket who screams because they didn't get their way. no one likes that kid."

phil slammed on the breaks, and dan jolted forward. his face was flushed, and he was breathing heavily, worked up. the dam couldn't have held up forever, apparently. but phil wasn't going to take this from him, from anyone. his eyes flashed and he stared him down coldly.

"you aren't special or tragic," he began slowly, his voice low and mean, but shaking nonetheless. "because mummy and daddy didn't want you anymore, or because your only friends are fucking hobos. you're special and tragic because, despite being through so much, you're still so bloody dim."

dan stared at him, frozen, but phil wasn't finished.

"now get the fuck out of my car. you'll soil the seats."

dan looked speechless. phil didn't want to think too hard about what he had said yet, so he held strong and glared at him until dan opened the passenger door and slid out of his car. someone honked from behind them but phil didn't drive until dan had shut the door behind him.

phil was shaking so hard he could barely grip the wheel. he turned, and grabbed for his phone in his pocket, texting sunny to tell him he was on his way over.

-

don't text and drive !!!!!!