fifty four.

dan.

"kat... we need to talk."

dan shifted anxiously, clasping his hands in front of him to keep him from doing that nervous thing he did with his fingers.

she was awfully bouncy today, which was unlike her. she smiled at him, in the midst of tying her hair up in a ponytail.

"i have to tell you something too. but you go first."

dan bit his lip, watching her suspiciously. "okay... i..." he sighed, his anxiety climbing. "phil asked me to live with him."

her eyebrows shot up and she finished her ponytail, her hands dropping to her sides. "excuse me?"

dan flinched. "yeah... and, kat, i want to. i really like him and i think this might... lead to something. something really good." he watched her face. "but if you really don't want me to, you know i won't, kat. i'm not leaving you."

kat was silent, and she crossed her arms, watching dan in a way that made him want to sink into the floor and never reemerge. his gaze fell to his feet, ashamed. maybe it had been a stupid idea to begin with. why would he think she would be okay with it?

he heard her sigh. "you're hopeless."

dan bunched his fingers in his sleeve to hold onto something, and nodded.

then she laughed.

dan looked up, surprised. katrina shook her head, giving him a sad smile and stepping forward to wrap her arms around his neck, pulling him close to her.

"i love you, dan," she said firmly. dan smiled timidly, as if this could still go wrong.

"i love you too."

"good," she replied. "i believe you. i know you love me, because you've shown me countless times. right?"

dan nodded slowly, a little unsure of where this was going.

"so now i'm showing you." she patted her hands gently on his chest, smiling gently. "i'm not very happy you won't be around, dan, don't get me wrong. but you've had a really hard year, and if you really like him..." she trailed off, clearing her throat. "if you can forgive phil for everything he's done to you, i can sure as hell forgive you for this."

dan's eyes widened in surprise. he beamed and pulled her into a hug, squeezing her until she squeaked. he laughed brightly.

"thank you so much, katrina." he pulled back. "i'm gonna sex him into getting you an apartment, i swear to god."

she laughed. "you're gonna sex him?"

dan nodded widely. "yes. that's what i said."

"jesus christ," kat mumbled, shaking her head at him. "you're absolutely ridiculous."

dan beamed and grabbed her hand, squeezing. "now tell me your thing."

"it's hardly as exciting..." her cheeks went pink. dan grinned.

"i'm sure it is to you. tell me."

she reached up to play with her ponytail. "um, i think i have a crush."

dan gasped. "on who?"

she smiled, looking down. "sunny..."

dan's grin just widened and he bit his tongue, watching her expression. it was so amazing to see her a little happy again. she truly was beautiful when she smiled, he knew what sunny could see in her.

"really? do you think he could like you back?"

"yeah." she glanced at him, smiling nervously. "i think so. b-but nothing's happened yet. except he held my hand that one time, but i think that was because there were a lot of people and he didn't want to lose me..."

she had started rambling so dan only nodded to encourage her to continue. she stood up straighter.

"but that wasn't, like, anything. we've hung out a little though. i think he might ask me on a... on a real date. has phil taken you on a real date?"

dan frowned. "i don't really... know," he muttered. he wasn't sure if dinner with his parents counted... but what about the hot dogs? what about the movies? had that been a real date?

she nodded, sympathetic. "that's okay. it'll get clearer soon. sunny told me phil calls him all the time to ask for advice."

dan grinned. "seriously?"

she nodded. dan pressed his lips together to keep from smiling too much.

"god, what an idiot," he said fondly.

kat grabbed his hand and squeezed. "i'm really glad you found him, dan. it seems like he really makes you happy."

dan nodded, sighing. "he does... i mean, of course there's still things he needs to work on, but i think he's a really good person deep down."

kat nodded, running her thumb over the back of his hand. "good. because you deserve only the best."

dan looked at her. "thank you, again. for everything. you'll always be important to me."

she nodded, sighing. "i know. i hope so."

things were finally going right for them.

----

grab ur tissues