epilogue.

dan. 

"here's your cut," sunny said, tearing the slip of paper from his pad and shoving it in dan's direction. dan rolled his eyes, but took it and slipped it into the pocket on the chest of phil's button up that he was wearing. he had grabbed it accidentally from the floor that morning, but he didn't mind. it smelled nice and made him look fancy and sophisticated. 

"i told you, i'm volunteering," dan argued, resting his elbow on the brand new counter, the gold watch phil had bought him glistening in the afternoon light from the windows.

sunny laughed through his nose, scribbling something on a piece of official looking paper, not looking up. "no, you're working for me, that's what it means when i pay you." 

"sunny-"

sunny glanced at him. "are you saying you don't want my money?"

"that's exactly what i'm saying." he kind of did want it, it felt good to have money in his pocket, but he wasn't about to admit that. and besides, he did want to help out, for free. 

sunny grinned. "sucks for you."

dan checked the time. he'd told phil he'd be home half an hour ago, but he didn't want to drop this. "so, let me get this straight. i'm an employee who works on their own time, spontaneously, only kind of stands around and assists where i'm needed and when i'm not distracting your actual employee," he nodded in kat's direction, who was sweeping in the corner. "and i go home when i want?"

sunny flashed his teeth and nodded. "yeah."

"is he arguing again?" kat asked, coming up behind dan and wrapping her arms around his neck. dan tried to shrug her off but it didn't work. 

"yeah." sunny looked back down at his papers. "dispose of him, security."

"don't expose of- hey!" kat grabbed his ear and tugged. dan shoved her but her grip was tight. "you're so dumb." he laughed. 

she pulled him toward the door. "you'd better get back, or phil will spank you."

dan sputtered. "will you fucking drop that? you're relentlessness."

she smirked at him, letting go of his ear at the door. "i swear to god, you two are a lot kinkier than you admit. i can feel it."

dan blushed, glaring at her. "i'm going now."

"good. i'll see you later."

dan shook his head at her, pushing through the glass front door, stepping out on the sidewalk. 

the air was brisk and a bit cold, but dan didn't really mind. he hailed a cab and sat down, smiling at the driver and sharing brief conversation. 

sometimes at times like these, he wondered if they knew. he wondered if they could tell. did this man have any idea who he used to be? could he tell by a smudge of dirt beneath dan's eye? did dan smell like smoke and the garbage bins behind a chinese restaurant? or did the brand new jeans and gold stitches on the buttons of his shirt erase his past completely?

honestly, he tried not to think about it too much. phil said it was a good thing to consider, but not productive to dwell on. dan agreed with him. he didn't want to end up torturing himself over something silly like that, he was still himself, no matter where he was in his own timeline. 

after thirty minutes (one of the slight downsides to having a new place, the distance) the car stopped in front of an apartment with red and brown brick walls and trees in front of it, constantly shedding their leaves over their doorstep. dan smiled at the man and payed him quickly before stepping out.