thirty eight.

phil.

phil woke up at five in the morning and, after several cups of coffee, he drove to the shelter. he jumped out of his car, his eyes widening when he noticed dan, asleep outside the building. he rushed over and leaned over to shake him.

"dan... dan. wake up. performance day."

dan groaned, frowning with his eyes closed. "it's so early, phil..."

"not early enough, we have so much to do."

dan whined and rolled over away from him. phil rolled his eyes, a smile tugging at his lips.

"i'm not carrying you again, come on."

after another minute of pestering dan sighed and pushed himself into a seated position, blinking.

"why were you out here, anyways?" phil asked, but dan didn't seem to be listening. he was looking around, his expression slowly deteriorating into that of panic. phil frowned. "what's wrong?"

"my guitar," dan managed to choke out, standing up and looking around. phil stared at him.

"what?"

"it was here," dan breathed, his eyes already shiny. "oh fuck."

phil's eyes widened. "what d-do you mean, it was here?"

"i fell asleep practicing, phil. it was right here, and it's gone."

phil froze, his blood going cold. oh, god. this wasn't good. "no."

dan ignored him, rushing inside. phil followed him as he frantically searched, waking up kat while searching their area of the room. she watched him curiously.

"dan, what in the world is wrong?"

"my guitar. someone stole it," dan choked. she was up in seconds.

"w-we don't know someone stole it," phil tried, but dan glared at him.

"of course someone stole it. you don't know what it's like out there, phil. they steal everything."

phil felt a stab of guilt. kat pulled dan close, rubbing his back and trying to calm him down. phil took a deep breath and pulled out his phone to call sunny. he picked up after two rings.

"hey!"

"hi," phil muttered, pacing. "we have a bit of an issue here. someone stole dan's guitar."

"what? how?"

"he slept outside with it. someone took it. look, how fast can you get one? i'll pay you back for it." the event started at one. if dan didn't have a guitar by then, everything was ruined.

"um, i don't k-know... i'll look up music stores and when they open...? i'll pick one up and be there as soon as i can."

"it's no use," dan sobbed. "it won't be right. it won't be mine."

phil bit his lip, feeling terrible for him. he knew how much that guitar had meant to him. it wasn't just about music, or the event, it was about earl. it was about his family. it was about his past. dan wasn't handling it well.

"dan, i mean this in the nicest way possible, but please suck it up for just a little bit. we have to figure this out." it wasn't even about the car, or anything like that. everything was planned, the fucking press was going to be there. it was so much bigger of a deal now.

dan glared at him but nodded, hiding his face in kat's shoulder. phil had already felt jittery, and now he felt like an absolute embodied heart attack.