nine.

dan

"i don't know, dan." katrina stapled a flyer to a splintered post with incredible force. "it seems sketchy."

"how does it seem sketchy?" dan slipped another glossy flyer beneath someone's windshield wipers. katrina shrugged, her slender shoulders bobbing smoothly. she huffed and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"it just does. he's a jerk, remember? he's not even trying to hide it. why do you want to work with a jerk just so he can get what he wants?"

dan blushed, biting his lip and shrugging, organizing the papers against his chest. "it's a cool opportunity..." for some reason, he didn't really want to tell her about the rest. he didn't want her to think he saw her as weak, because she wasn't. "how're the others?"

katrina hummed. "nina's tired, but at least she has a roof over her head for once. earl wanted to come along but i told him he couldn't, his head has been hot."

dan nodded slowly, not really listening, sitting down on the curb. he really needed to guilt phil into buying him more food, even a little bit of activity left him out of breath. katrina sat beside him.

"you okay?"

dan nodded, running his fingers through his hair and resting his hands on the back of his neck. he also needed a shower.

"yeah. are you?"

"i think so." she reached out and took his hand, squeezing. dan squeezed back. these little moments were so important; being alone with someone who had gone through similar struggles than he had. knowing she was there for him.

someone cleared their throat and dan whirled around to see phil, standing behind them, scratching at the back of his neck.

"need a break?"

dan was incredibly uncomfortable in phil's sleek black car. jesus, how could he think he needed a new one? it was so nice, dan would feel privileged to have to live in it. but despite all the space he had, he felt cramped and hot.

phil had told him to sit in the back without explaining why, so dan was incredibly confused and a little offended until phil stopped in front of a building and a boy ran out, sliding a bit clumsily into the passenger seat. his blond hair very nearly covered his dimpled cheeks and he turned back to look at dan.

"hey!"

dan flinched automatically at the loud tone of his voice, but he smiled stiffly at him and shook his hand. his fingers were sticky.

"i'm sunny."

"dan."

"i know." the boy beamed at him. "phil talks about you a lot. he must really like you." he laughed and made a kissy face, mimicking a disgusting wet sound. dan scrunched his nose.

"do you want me to kick you out of this car?" phil snapped, and dan couldn't help smiling at how perturbed he seemed to be at the notion. phil glanced back at him. "don't flatter yourself. it's mostly complaint."

"don't worry, i wasn't."

"good."

dan chewed on his lip for a moment when the car went silent, shifting nervously. "so i'm s-sorry to pry, but why am i here, exactly?"

phil grunted. "it was sunny's idea," he grumbled. "he wanted to get to know you or whatever."

"where are we going?"