fifty seven.

phil.

everything in phil felt empty and cold. he realized he knew this feeling. it was the before-dan feeling. and it was stupid, because phil knew it was just a thin protective film over his true feelings, but he couldn't help it.

phil wasn't sure how long he sat there, on the train tracks, building back up his walls. it must have been hours because the air was icy and dark around him when he finally stood up. all his muscles ached.

the drive back to town felt miserable. his thoughts wouldn't shut up. god i don't even want the fucking car anymore i want dan no you don't just breathe just breathe just breathe. he didn't need dan. he didn't want dan. he hadn't done anything wrong. certainly nothing that justified how dan had reacted.

before he knew it phil was turning onto sunny's street. he just needed a friend, as much as he tried to deny it. he needed to talk to someone rational.

sunny didn't answer the door when phil knocked. phil huffed and opened it anyways, frustrated with everything and everyone.

"sunny, you fucking-"

his words cut short when his breath did. dan was sitting on sunny's couch, his knees pulled up to his chest, a bottle of what phil knew to be very expensive whiskey clutched in his fist. his hair was messy and beautiful- he needed a haircut desperately- his cheeks flushed and splotchy. fuck. fuck fuck fuck.

dan's face lit up when he noticed him, but then he seemed to realize he hated phil now, and his expression melted into a very childish looking pouty frown. "i'm mad at you."

"i know," phil said stiffly, because he didn't know what else to say.

dan huffed and turned on the couch so he was facing away from him, as if that would make phil go away. "you suck. i wish i wasn't mad at you."

phil fought back the emotions threatening to drown him. dan took another big swig from the bottle. jesus.

"where's sunny?"

"in his room." he giggled, bubbly. "with kat."

phil's eyes widened. "wait, what?"

dan nodded, turning back to face him, as if he had forgotten the last few minutes. "yeah. i don't think they're doin' anything except kissing a lot."

phil blushed and nodded, dropping his gaze. he couldn't look at him anymore, it was driving him crazy. "how much have you had to drink?"

"enough," dan said simply, taking another sip. phil glanced at him.

"then maybe you should stop."

"shut up, dad." dan hugged the bottle against his stomach and giggled. phil raised his eyebrows.

"excuse me?"

dan smiled in a way that made his dimples extremely noticeable and pointed the bottle at him. "dad."

"alright, give me that," phil muttered, stepping forward to take it from him. dan held it just out of his reach.

"no, fuck off." he laughed and reached up as far as he could, leaning back. but he was sitting, and phil was standing, so phil got it from him fairly easily. dan glared at him weakly.

"asshole. first you steal my heart, then my booze."

phil laughed despite himself. "what did you just say?"

dan scowled. "shut up. don't make fun of me, i hate you."

phil rolled his eyes and sat on the couch next to him, setting the bottle down by their feet. he could feel dan looking at it. "i'll just wait for sunny, i guess."