ten.

phil

"are you sure this is such a good idea?"

sunny fiddled with the tv remote. "oh shush, of course it is. what could he do?"

"trash your bathroom?"

"why would he do that?"

phil huffed, shaking his head. "you brought a homeless guy into your home. isn't that, like, the one thing you learn not to do in school?"

"maybe when you're in fifth grade, but we're big boys now." he smirked. "besides, it's my place, phil. chill, you have nothing to lose."

phil rolled his eyes, sitting beside him. the truth was, he wasn't even sure why he was so antsy. he didn't trust dan. he could hear the water running from the bathroom and he bit his lip, waiting for a crash or maybe a boom.

"he seems nice," sunny mumbled, his eyes trained on the tv. "i don't know what the big deal is."

"he's annoying." phil changed positions uncomfortably, switching how his legs were crossed. "and a prick."

"whatever you say."

the water stopped after a minute more and phil waited, but no sound came. a few minutes later and he heard a soft padding from the hallway, and he turned around to see dan in only a towel around his waist, his hair falling around his face in dripping ringlets. phil blushed but dan's cheeks were darker than his, which made him feel a little better.

"i'm really sorry to bother you," he said quietly, looking at sunny, not phil. "but could i borrow some clothes? mine are really dirty, i promise i'll give them back..."

"of course," sunny said with a smile, hopping up. phil blushed darker; jesus, he felt like a third wheel around his best friend and a homeless boy.

sunny left to get clothes, leaving phil alone with him. the atmosphere was thick and phil's eyes widened when he got a whiff of cherry blossom. he knew for a fact that sunny's ex girlfriend had left her body wash and shampoo at his house- dan must have used them by mistake.

"you used the wrong soap." phil just wanted to break the silence. he could feel dan raise his eyebrows.

"oh?"

phil grunted. "yeah. that's for females." he glanced back to catch dan blush and tuck some hair behind his ear.

"oh. i'm sorry."

phil shrugged, and the silence creeped back into the room.

sunny returned with a red sweater and some jeans, which he handed to dan. dan seemed to be shoving down his happiness as he took them and rushed out to change.

when he came back, phil's stomach tightened. the sweater was way too big, obviously, as sunny was rather chubby and dan must weigh as much as a feather. the jeans were big too, but somehow it suited him. his hair was semi dry, and it actually annoyed phil how fluffy his hair would be when it was fully dry. he stood up abruptly.

"dan, let's go," he mumbled, avoiding his eyes. they were shiny with joy, which made them look like melted chocolate.

"what? why?"

"we need to work," he told him. "remember? for our deal?"

dan chewed on his lip, watching him curiously. "right now?"

"yeah, we have a lot to do." phil couldn't explain his feelings- the thought of staying at sunny's place any longer made him incredibly angry. it was odd, he had never felt weird when sunny hung out with other people. "let's go."

dan looked hesitant but he nodded reluctantly, his teeth digging into his lower lip. "okay... bye, sunny."

"bye!" sunny grinned at him before turning to phil. "bye, grumpy."

"fuck off." phil grabbed dan's sleeve to drag him to the door, no doubt stretching the fabric. he didn't care. he was in a worse mood than usual.

dan let him pull him until they were outside and he yanked his hand back. "what was that about?"

phil shook his head, more because he didn't know than because he wanted to keep it from him.

"shut up and get in the car."