5.9 - lyrics

09:42 AM

"Go away." Skylar said right away, then slammed the door in Luke's face.

Luke shrugged, feeling that maybe this was a sign. Maybe he shouldn't have tracked Skylar down, maybe he shouldn't have spent the past three months crying and sulking about her not being there anymore. Maybe him and Skylar just weren't meant to end up together.

Luke didn't care about 'maybes', though, so he knocked on the door again.

"I don't want to talk to you!" He heard Skylar yell through the door, and Luke just knocked again. He wasn't going to give up this time, he wasn't going to leave until he got what he wanted, and that was to give Skylar a full apology for all of the shit that he'd caused in her life.

"I'm not planning on talking!" Luke yelled back. "I told you, I wrote you a song."

"You want to sing to me?" Skylar questioned, still speaking through the closed door of her apartment.

"If that's alright with you." Luke shrugged.

"It's a little too late for that." Skylar yelled.

"I know, I know that it's too late, Sky, but please just listen to me." Luke begged. "I want to make things right."

"It's too late for that, too." Skylar said.

"I'm sorry, Sky, just please listen to me." Luke pleaded, knocking on the door again.

"Can't I listen to you from here?" Skylar asked, and Luke let out a small chuckle.

"No, you can't." Luke laughed softly. "Please just open the door, Sky. I really need to talk to you."

Luke could hear Skylar let out another big sigh as she opened the door, revealing herself once again. She was still just as beautiful as she had been three months ago, and it took everything in Luke to not just run up and kiss her.

"Hi." Skylar said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Hi," Luke said nervously. He dug around in his back pocket for a minute before pulling out a piece of paper and handing it to Skylar.

"Is this - ?"

"I wrote this song for you, Sky, it's only the chorus, actually, but I'm still working on it a little." Luke stammered. He got his guitar ready and began to strum some chords while he continued to speak. "There were so many things that I should have said to you that day that we met, but I didn't and I hate myself for it every single day."

Skylar just nodded, telling Luke to go on. She was staring down at the paper, at the lyrics of Luke's song, and probably wondering why he hadn't started to sing it yet.

"I feel so lost without you, Sky, I miss you so much it hurts and I want you back in my life, baby, I really do." Luke said, still playing the melody of the song he'd written on his guitar. For some reason he couldn't bring himself to sing it it, he had too much to say.

"Then why didn't you - "

"I was stupid, I still am stupid, and I thought that I would be protecting you if I pushed you away like that. I was wrong - I was wrong because I need you Skylar and I don't think that I'll ever really stop needing you." Luke continued, taking a big breath. "So this is the song I wrote for you, and I hope it makes up for everything I didn't say."

"Taking every breath away, with all of the mistakes I've made, from all the letters that I've saved, this is everything I didn't say." Luke sang, his voice still a little shaky. He really hadn't sang in almost three months, since before he even met Skylar. But Luke continued anyway. "I wish I could've made you stay, and I'm the only one to blame. I know that it's a little too late, this is everything I didn't say."