2.0 - blame

12:50 PM

"Luke?" Skylar spoke softly, taking her head off of Luke's shoulder. After they realized that they couldn't just sit in the middle of the airport all day they moved over to the chairs again, where they had been sitting in silence with each other ever since.

Skylar forgave Luke for his little outburst, mainly because he had no idea about her mom in the first place. She understood what it looked like from Luke's perspective, Skylar seemed like just a good girl that wanted to give up spending time with a big celebrity to hang out with her mom, which did seem kind of wimpy.

Skylar also forgave him because Luke was all she had, without him she would just be stuck alone in an airport for the rest of the day. She was still a little upset that he said such mean things to her, but she was going to look past that for now, because it was really neither of their faults.

"Uh huh?" Luke stirred, and Skylar felt a little bad, because she thought that maybe he had fallen asleep and she woke him up.

"Did you mean what you said?" She whispered. Luke's grip on her hand tightened as he looked down at her, his eyebrows furrowed.

"What did I say?" He asked, his lips curling up at the corners.

"When you called me a wimp, and a bitch. Did you mean it?" Skylar questioned. She'd had problems with name calling in the past, back in middle school, and Luke saying those things only brought back some old memories. She had promised herself that she wasn't really going to bother with this fight, because it honestly wasn't as bad as it seemed, but Skylar just couldn't help herself.

"Skylar..." Luke said, shifting positions. He kept his arm around Skylar's shoulders and stared into her eyes. "I was angry, and I went off without thinking about what I was saying. It didn't mean anything."

"Because, I mean... I know that I can get a little emotional sometimes and freak out, but I really didn't think I was that much of a wimp. Well, aside from me wanting to go hang out with my mom..." Skylar trailed off, losing her train of thought completely.

"Oh, God, now I've planted that idea in your head." Luke sighed, "Sky, you're not a wimp because you want to go see your mum. You have a perfectly good reason to want to get back to Australia, and it doesn't make you any less of a person."

"But I would understand. I was acting like one. I made it seem like I was too scared to hang out with someone like you, and I just wanted to go sit with my mom and do nothing." She continued, rambling again. She felt that it was her fault that they got in that argument in the first place, because it wouldn't have even happened if Skylar hadn't been so frigid.

Luke swallowed hard, his eyes shifting from Skylar's down to the ground. "Do we have to talk about this?"

"You don't want to?" Skylar asked.

"I didn't mean what I said to you, Sky. That's it." Luke said, sitting up.

"I'm sorry..." Skylar whispered, this time it was her looking down at the ground. Luke's stare was intensely focused on Skylar, and she could feel him studying every inch of her face.

"Can I ask you something?" Luke spoke suddenly, startling Skylar, but not enough to make her look up at him.

"Go ahead." She nodded.

"Why do you always say you're sorry?" Luke asked, and Skylar still didn't dare look back at him.

"I need to." She shrugged.

"Why?" Luke reached out and tucked a strand of hair behind Skylar's ear, which forced her to turn her head and look at him.

"I've been saying sorry all my life, it feels weird when I don't say it." Skylar said quietly. It was true, she was constantly apologizing for things, even when she wasn't the one to blame. She just always felt like there was something that was her fault, no matter who was involved or what the situation was.

"All your life? What do you mean?" Luke asked carefully, and Skylar could tell that he was trying hard not to upset her by what he said.

"I just always have something that I need to say sorry for. I used to get bullied really badly, and I thought it was my fault, so I always apologized for making a big deal out of it. My parents divorce, that was my fault too. I blame myself for my mom's cancer, there's always something." Skylar explained, and she felt like crying again. She really hated that, but there wasn't really anything she could do, she couldn't help the fact that tears just came easily for her.

"Your parents divorcing isn't your fault, and your mum's cancer definitely isn't either. You can't even control that." Luke said, and leaned down more so his eyes were level with Skylar's. She took in the amazing blue color, getting lost in his sparking eyes as he continued to speak. "Sky, you're not to blame for any of this."

Before Skylar could say anything else to Luke his phone started to ring loudly in his pocket, playing a song by another band that she has never heard before. He took the phone out of his pocket, his eyes growing wide as he stared at the screen.

"I need to take this." He said, quickly getting up and walking a good distance away from Skylar, leaving her alone.