5.8 - surprise

Sydney, Australia

09:34 AM

Three Months Later

"So, did he ever talk to you again?" Caitlyn asked Skylar over the phone. It was an odd time for Caitlyn to be awake and on the phone, but she didn't mind being up so late. They'd been talking for the past hour and a half, and for the last 15 minutes they'd been discussing that one day just a few months ago when Skylar met Luke Hemmings.

"No, he never tried to find me and I never tried to find him." Skylar said, shrugging as she paced back and forth across the floor of her apartment. She shared it with her cousin, Alex, but she was out running some errands at the moment and probably wouldn't be home for a few hours.

Skylar had tried her hardest not to think about Luke in the past three months, but it was hard. She always found something that seemed to remind her of him (like her tattoo or that Batman bracelet that she still hadn't taken off) but she didn't exactly mind. She liked that she was reminded of Luke, because she honestly liked to remember all of the good times they had together. She remembered the bad times, too, but they didn't hurt Skylar as much anymore.

She should have known straight from the start that it would never last, but Skylar was just too naive to see it sooner. She knew better than to fall in love with total strangers now, and if a time ever came where she was put in a situation like that again, she'd be a lot smarter about it.

"Have you seen his tattoo?" Caitlyn asked.

"Well, yeah." Skylar chuckled. "I was with him when he got it."

"No, like, the full thing. I saw this super hq picture of it the other day online." Caitlyn trailed off, and Skylar knew that she'd probably moved to her laptop again to look for the picture.

"It's just an airplane, I have the same one." Skylar said nervously. She knew that Luke had added something to his tattoo, he'd promised to show her, but of course he broke that promise too.

"No, no, he has your name written on it." Caitlyn said, and Skylar stopped pacing.

"What?" She asked.

"On the plane, along one of the wings, it says Sky." Caitlyn said, sounding more excited than before. Caitlyn had always been rooting for Luke and Skylar, since the beginning, and it seemed like she'd mention something about them possibly getting together again at every chance she got.

"That could just be because airplanes go in the sky, you know?" Skylar asked. She pulled up the sleeve of her hoodie and let her fingers trace over her own tattoo. She didn't regret getting it, no, because the tattoo was meant to always remind her of her 24 hours with Luke and that's exactly what it was doing.

"Skylar, seriously?" Caitlyn laughed, "He got it with you, for you."

"But, no, he - why would he do that?" Skylar wondered out loud, not really understanding. If Luke hadn't really changed, and he'd had intentions to leave Skylar all along, why would he get her name tattoo permanently on his skin?

"He loves you, duh." Caitlyn scoffed.

"He does not." Skylar said, her voice faded. "If he loved me then he wouldn't have made me leave."

"You don't know what was going through his head at the time. Didn't you say he had been freaking out randomly all night?" Caitlyn asked.

"Well, yeah, but - "

"He probably had a lot more going on than you knew about. I don't know, Skylar, I'm just trying to say that I wouldn't blame him for all of this." Caitlyn sighed. Caitlyn always seemed to have the right answers, and Skylar both hated and loved her for it.

"I don't blame him. It was my fault, anyway." Skylar shrugged.

"But it wasn't. It was both of you." Caitlyn said, and Skylar nodded. She agreed, the blame couldn't be set on just one of them, it was both of them that led to their breaking point.

"Okay, fine. I guess you're right." Skylar sighed again, because obviously she didn't really like being wrong.

"Do you think you'll ever see him again?" Caitlyn asked suddenly, and Skylar honestly had to think about it for a minute. She often found herself wondering that maybe something would change some day and Luke would come back and try to find her, or she'd go and try to find him. She didn't think it would ever happen

"No."

"Don't give up. He's still in Australia, you could, like, bump into him on the street or something." Caitlyn chuckled. She always had these fantasies about Skylar and Luke just bumping into each other on the street and falling in love all over again, but Skylar thought that was stupid.

"Yeah, right. Australia's a big place, Cait, I don't think he's just going to randomly knock on my - "

There was a knock on the front door of Skylar's apartment, and she was so startled by it that she actually let out a scream. She quickly told Caitlyn that she had to go and would call her back later before setting the phone down on the table and jogging over to the door.

Skylar took a deep breath, silently yelling at herself because she was already being stupid and imagining Luke on the other side of the door. She slowly pulled the door open, and was honestly shocked with what she saw.

Standing there, with his dumb blonde hair and blue eyes and his ridiculous lip ring and too-tight pants and his stupid, stupid, sweatshirt, was Luke Hemmings himself.

"Luke?" Skylar almost whispered, her eyes going wide as she stared back at him. She almost thought that he wasn't real, that he was simply just a figment of her imagination. Then he spoke.

"Skybaby," He said, pulling a guitar out from behind his back and stepping forward, like he was waiting to be invited inside. "I wrote you a song."

-

OH GUYS ITS GONNA GET GOOD