0.7 - nicknames

7:02 AM

Skylar swallowed hard, she hadn't expected to actually need to tell him her name. She assumed that he wouldn't have even asked about it again once he found out she didn't have any idea who he was. Why was he so famous anyway?

"It's Skylar." She answered slowly, hoping that would be the end of it.

"Skylar." Luke repeated. "Skyyylar."

"Is that suitable name for you?" Skylar scoffed at the way Luke seemed to be examining her name, like he was deciding if it was good enough.

"I pictured you as more of a Chelsea, or a Jennifer...or something boring like that." Luke shrugged. He still hadn't taken his hood off of his head, and Skylar was getting ready to tear it off herself.

"You expected me to have a boring name?" Skylar asked. She sat up straight, she was definitely not a boring person. She could be exciting, just not around douchey boys she met at the airport.

"You're kind of a boring person, Skylar, I hate to say." Luke gave her a fake smile, shrugging again.

"I am not!" Skylar protested.

"You're the first girl that hasn't drooled over me in almost two years!" Luke shot back.

"Oh, so that makes me boring? Well, sorry that I haven't drooled on you yet. What if I have a really nice personality?" Skylar asked. She always thought that personality won over looks, at least that's how it had worked out for her in the past. Sure, Skylar knew she was pretty, but she wasn't anything special. She considered her personality to be a bigger factor when making friends.

"I don't care about personality." Luke said quietly. He crossed his arms over his chest and slouched down in the chair, - Skylar's chair - making himself comfortable.

"You're such a charmer, Luke, I'm surprised that you don't have a serious girlfriend or something." Skylar said sarcastically and Luke sat up straight, leaning in to Skylar.

"Listen, Skylar," Luke's voice dropped down to a whisper, "I don't really appreciate you being so annoying. It's a long flight, and it's going to feel even longer if you keep trying to convince me that personality is better than looks."

"Geez, sorry I offended you. I'll just stop talking then." Skylar shrugged, finally having gotten what she wanted. She was definitely going to Google this Luke Hemmings boy after the plane lands, he was probably famous for being such an asshole.

"Look, Skylar - hey, can I call you Sky?" Luke stopped mid sentence, turning to Skylar.

Skylar felt her body tense up at the mention of that name. Only her mother called her that and only her mother ever will. Why was Luke trying to make up a nickname for her anyway? Did he not just say he didn't want to talk anymore?

"Why would you want to call me that?" Skylar asked blankly, prepared to deny Luke's request.

"Skylar's just such a mouthful for me, if you're going to sit next to me for the next 15 hours I might as well find a name that's easy to say." Luke responded. He propped his elbow up on the arm rest shared between them and rested his head in his palm, looking innocently up at Skylar.

"You can't call me Sky." She shook her head. Skylar never let anyone call her that, and usually people respected that. She knew that Luke wouldn't, he really didn't respect anything.

"Why not?" Luke asked.

"Just leave me alone!" Skylar hissed.

"What, was it something I said?" Luke laughed lightly, and Skylar rolled her eyes at how he was handling all of this. He was so immature.

"Yes, it was something you said! You've been nothing but a cocky asshole to me since the second I walked into the airport and I'm sick of it! Just go to sleep or something, and leave me alone!" Skylar blew up, which was something she normally didn't do.

Luke paused for a second, a huge smile growing on his face. "You're feisty... I like that."

Skylar turned away from Luke, curling up in the seat so her back was facing him, and didn't say anything more. She hoped that she would be able to fall asleep on the flight, the last thing she needed today was to sit with Luke staring at her for 15 hours. If he was going to watch her, she would rather be asleep.