Chapter 24: Search Party

w/c: I wrote this super fast so I apologize for any errors or anything messed up in the grammar 😬 lemme know of you see any errors

Chapter 24: Search Party

Allison's P.O.V.

~ a week later ~

When I open my eyes, all I can see is complete and utter darkness blanketing the air all around me. Trying to keep myself calm, I begin to feel around my surroundings until my hands brushes someone else's and also grass. Suddenly, everything that has happened came rushing to my brain. The person's hand beside me was Xander, and despite my begging, Damon had insisted we kept him along instead of letting him go. Mainly so that he could use him as blackmail against me.

I had met back up with Damon and his newly turned vampires and since then I had been moving along with them, trying to find Banner's location. I admitted to Damon that I crossed paths with him around New York, so now we were searching alleys, motels, gas stations, even the men's shelter home. I personally thought-and hoped-this was a lost cause, but Damon was incredibly persistent.

Selfishly, I was glad I had Xander with me. He made nice company, especially when Damon would make snarky remarks at me. I felt awful for Xander since he's only human and all this nonstop walking was taking an obvious toll on him.

I missed Luke. And, of course, Darin. I find myself wondering where they both think I went. I'm not sure if after awhile they'll begin to worry or look for me, only to see that I'm long gone. Damon apparently wants to show off my dead body to both of them.

I've considered running, but of course there's always two of Damon's men behind me and in front of me. I wouldn't get far.

Snapping myself back into now, I sit up from my position on the grass and squint just enough to tell that all the vampires are asleep except for one that stares across at me with two shining eyes.

"You should go back to sleep. Damon wants to cover more ground than ever tomorrow." He instructed me. Though I'd been with these guys for a week, I knew none of their names. "Why do you care?" I snap, my voice sounding harsher than I intended.

"Fine, stubborn ass." He snapped right back. I could've sworn through the darkness I saw his eyes roll.

We're both quiet for awhile, still staring at each other before I speak up. "How'd he turn you?" I ask softly, wanting to know.

He remained silent and I just began to think he wasn't going to answer me, when he spoke up again. "Why do you care?"

I let out a little laugh for what felt like the first time in a long time. "It's not polite to copycat people."

"Answer the question, Allison." He insisted, voice deeper.

"I can't sleep and you're keeping watch. I figured I'd keep you talking so you wouldn't fall asleep," I told him, laying back down on my back and searching the sky above me for at least one star. "Plus, I'm kinda curious."

Silence again.

"I got in a fight with some guys from a stupid gang. One of them had a gun," The guy paused, taking a deep breath. "I was bleeding out from the bullet wound when Damon found me. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here right now."

"Maybe so, but you're different." I said softly, sighing. "You're completely different from the person you were before. Not being able to recognize yourself when you look in the mirror is hardly worth it."

"If your humanity changing is what you're talking about, then I don't think you really have to worry about that. Your humanity seems pretty intact to me." He muttered and immediately I felt far away from him.

"Goodnight." I say instead of a response, snuggling my head into Xander's warm arm.

He chuckles and someone else laughing makes me happy. "Goodnight, Allison."

~ ~ ~

When Damon shakes me awake, I resist the strong urge to punch him hard in the face. "Get your lazy ass up, Allison."

Rolling my eyes, I slowly got up off my grass bed and took the ponytail off my wrist and used it to pull my hair up. "I was kind of hoping this whole killing me and all my loved ones would go by a little faster than this."

Damon ignored me completely, turning to the guys. "We all need fresh blood. I was thinking we could stop by the liquor store."

"Why?" I asked, confused.

"Drunks are an easy and quick meal. They're like a drive thru for vampires." One of the turned vampires told me, as if it was obvious.

My mind immediately goes to when we went to the club and fed on the drunks there.

Finally, we come across what looks like a completely rundown liquor store, but it was obviously not rundown because there was about six people in there. Four undoubtedly drunk and the other two on their way there.

And it just so happened that one of the completely drunk ones, sitting in his bar stool and spinning around childishly on it, was Banner.

w/c: it's literally been forever since I've uploaded and I'm really sorry, there's no excuse. truth is, I got major writers block and kinda just gave up on this story but aye I'm back now thank you to everyone who has stayed with this story or are just now reading it ❤ (plus I know half the chaps of this story use very poor grammar and yet you all still stay with me) so big big thank you and yes that is all basically you're all amazing and ily. ❤