Chapter 23: Alone

Chapter 23: Alone

Darin's P.O.V.

I stared longing at the door Allison had just exited. I'm a complete idiot. Why do humans always seem to break things they care about? I've always hated the weaknesses that came with being a human, but when you think about it, people are beautiful. At least Allison was, when she was human. She still is.

Humans just have this quality of imperfectness that I was in love with. It just made them all so beautiful. They can hurt so easily, feel emotions so intensely, and have a conscious that helps them do better. Vampires have no moral compass, no emotions. I've always tried to keep my feet on the ground and have some human qualities that would help me with things like no feeding too much on people. I'm not supposed to care about anything or anyone.

But then little hard-headed Allison walked into my life and changed everything. She was so curious, she made me want to wonder about things that seemed so meaningless before. She made me want to have opinions and views on things, and she helped me stop and see the beauty of things I hadn't of appreciated before.

I remember the first time I saw her blush, her blood slowly and deliciously rising to her cheeks. I was happy she hadn't of completed her transformation so I could still see her do stuff like that. The cutest thing is when she's mad or frustrated, because her eyebrows draw together and she'll instinctually scrunch her nose a little.

And yet I had just let her walk away, and I had a very strong feeling she didn't want me to come after her.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Allison's P.O.V.

I aggressively rubbed my cheeks to try and clean up the tears running down, knowing my eyes and face were probably red. I shoved my hands into Luke's coat I had stolen and looked around. I didn't want to go to Damon's place yet, not until I absolutely had to.

Deciding to just walk down the streets, I pushed into the big crowds that were New York and began to walk in pace with the people around me. I wanted to talk to Luke before I had to go, that couldn't be our goodbye. But where would he go?

My eyes surveyed the city around me. I knew Luke better than I knew myself, so maybe I could guess where he went. Was he walking around the city? Or did he go inside one of these tiny stores. He had always liked that little coffee shop that was a few blocks from my house. Maybe he's in one of these cafés.

My eyes locked on the one closet to me and I broke away from the group, quickening my pace as I ran across the street.

The little bells on the door rang as I entered, causing a few people to turn around to look while others didn't care. My eyes locked on the messy dirty blonde hair I knew well.

I slowly walked up to Luke before sitting across from him. His blue eyes slowly lifted up to meet mine and he smiled a little, a good sign.

"Excuse my wallowing in self-pity, but didn't I specifically tell you to not follow me? That I wanted to be alone? " He asked sarcastically, sipping his caffeinated drink. I knew it was strong with lots of sugar.

I shrugged. "Since when do I listen to anyone?" He smirks a little at that and I continue, "Besides I had enough time to scream at Darin, so I gave you a little while alone."

Luke's eyebrows raised a little at that. "You had a fight with Darin? But I thought you two were the perfect couple." I hadn't of noticed until now, but his words were slurred and his eyes were a bit glazed.

I frowned and sniffed his coffee only to have the strong smell of alcohol hit me hard. "Seriously, Luke?" I got up from my seat and shoved my hand in his pocket, searching for his container.

"Allison, if you wanted to feel me up you could've just asked." He smiles lazily and leans back in his seat.

I rolled my eyes, but just moved onto the next pocket. I would've of been more annoyed with him if it wasn't for the fact that he was drinking because of me. Finally, I pull out his small flask.

He makes a distressed noise. "Hey, that's mine!" He looks around and I silently pray he won't make a scene.

But he does anyways.

"ARREST THIS GIRL! SHE'S A THIEF!" He yells, out stumbling out of his seat and raising his arms around.

Ok, now I'm annoyed.

Everyone one in the room including the staff turned to look at him as he continued to slur and ramble.

I roughly grab his arm and shove him back down in his seat. "Luke. Stop."

He stares up at me angrily, and while he's distracted I pour what's left of the drink onto the floor. Then I hand him back his stupid container. He smiles happily and kisses it.

"Uhm, excuse me, but I'm going to have to ask you and your friend to leave."

I look up to see an angry male manager glaring down at us. "Oh my gosh, sir, I'm so sorry." I get up quickly and grab Luke's arm to pull him up.

"Don't let him drive," The guy snaps and I open the door and shove Luke out. Yeah, cause I'm freaking stupid enough to let a complete drunk drive.

I rub my eyes tiredly. This was not exactly part of my plan. "Look, Luke, I really don't wanna take y-"

"I'll take him." Says a soft voice behind me. I don't jump because it's so familiar to me now, but that doesn't mean I'm not surprised.

I turn around and he stares back at me with those bright green eyes that seems to always make my heart beat fast. I don't even ask why he's here, because I know. He came after me.

"You will?" I ask, confused. I can still feel the tenseness in the air of our previous conversation.

"Yeah, I mean he's obviously drunk and well, I can uhm... probably guess you don't wanna go back to the hotel." Darin explained sheepishly, looking at his feet intently.

"I'm... right here y-you know." Luke frowned.

Darin scowled and looked up at the sky. "Give me patience, please."

I rolled my eyes and pushed Luke towards Darin. "He's all yours."

"Yay." Darin spat sarcastically.

Then it hit me. This was probably the last time I'd ever see the two people I cared about most. I softened and pulled drunk Luke into a hug. I wish he was sober, but at least this way he won't question it and he'll just let me leave.

Drunk Luke didn't make an annoying, crude comment this time, which I was quite happy about. Once I was done, Luke slumped against the wall and sat down which I would've found funny if it wasn't this situation.

I pulled away and didn't allow myself to feel awkward before pulling Darin into a hug. He let out a little surprise grunt at my aggressiveness of squeezing him, but soon he relaxed and pulled me closer to him.

"Allison," He breathed into my ear and I couldn't help the shudder that ran down my body. "I guess you really are leaving?"

Before I had even noticed, tears were falling fast down my cheeks. "I love you, Darin. You know that, right?"

"Oh, gosh," He groaned. "You are leaving. I guess I won't ask how long." Darin pulled away, but still held me in arm's length. "I'm in love with you, Allison," He leaned closer and leaned his forehead on mine. "And even though you say I've changed, I never, ever stopped loving you."

My heart ached as he stared at me, his eyes vulnerable. "You're not just saying all this so I won't leave you, are you?" I teased.

Darin allowed a small smile, but that was all. He kissed my forehead. "I'm so sorry, Allison."

And then just like that, he pulled away. I was suddenly cold from the absence of his warmth. Darin grabbed Luke's arm. "Bye, Allison." Then he was gone.

And I was alone.