(4) Lost and Found

Chapter 4: Lost and Found

I'm half asleep, half awake.

I can hear everything, see nothing.

I hear a shuffle and groan. I wonder what Adam is doing...

I understand when a hand is stroking my face softly. It takes all the power inside of me to not jump up and slap him a few times.

He starts with my cheeks, my collarbone, and then the outline of my lips. A shiver runs through me and I hear him hurry back to his bed.

I suddenly realize that, even the dark light of the room, he saw the dark red blush on my cheeks.

He knew I was awake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Selena..." Something shakes me.

"Selena?" I'm shaked again, harder this time. It suddenly hits me that, I'm Selena.

I silently groan, wanting to be Allison again. "Selena!" Adam yells this time and I fall to the floor. Through all of this shaking, my eyes are still clamped shut.

"What the heck!?" I say. He pratically tosses me with shakes this time.

I peek my eyes open and see bright eyes staring down at me disapprovingly. I shut them again.

Remember who you are. Keep the act up.

All for Darin.

"Earthquake!" I screech, rolling under the coffee table.

After some negotiating, pleading, and most of all, pushing, I'm dressed and ready.

When we sit down for breakfast in the hotel, I mumble, "I hate you."

He just laughs, though it sounds slightly pained.

I automatically look up, alarmed. He pulls his walls up again and turns his face blank.

"Soon, your'll be with your parents and you won't have to see my face ever again,"

i nod. That's when it will be all over. I'm thinking that if I tell him who I really am, and then tell him my story, I'll run away. BUT, I might not have to. I'm also hoping that maybe he'll come along for awhile with me. But then I'll have to leave him. This is my mission. Adam knows New York, though, and by the way he acted towards me last night, the possiblities are higher that he'll come with me.

"I need to tell you something, Adam." I say.

He looks up and right then, (thanks alot...) the waitress sets our food in front of us.

"Erm, thanks." He says, giving her a tiny glare.

I smile at her and pick up my water. I wasn't going to drink it, I just needed something to hold onto.

Once she walks away, I turn back to Adam. "Yes...?" He says.

"You can't ransom me..." I say slowly.

He sighs. "I know."

"Wait, what?!" I yell, not really expecting that.

He looks at me like I'm mad. "I can't ransom you..."

"Yes, you can. You can ransom Selena Holmes. But not me."

"What are you saying?" he says, his eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm not drunk, stupid, or belong in a mad house. But most of all, I'm not Selena Holmes."

He stares at me for what seems like hours. I start to shuffle, uncomfortable under his gaze.