Chapter 22: Falling Apart

Allison's P.O.V.

We all stumbled back into hotel, exhausted and bruised up.

"Lay down." I demand Darin.

He doesn't fight me, but only sits up on the bed. That's how he is. He can't just calm down after the adrenaline of a fight.

"I'm-" I hit Luke hard on the shoulder before he could finish his millionth apology.

"It's fine. Shut up. He was gonna let me go anyways." I snapped, being meaner than I meant to be.

Luke was silent for a moment, then he whispered, "I was scared. I missed you."

I opened my mouth to speak but a mocking laugh from Darin interrupted me. "Aw, poor Lukey. Why don't you go and hold his hand, Allison? Make sure he's okay. I mean, it's not like he's the reason why you were even out there." He paused, did that awful laugh again. "Oh wait. It is."

Luke's body tensed up and he got up and loomed over Darin. "You started it."

Darin stuck his bottom lip out in a pout. "Aw, did I?" His tone was as if he was talking to a two-year-old.

Darin stood up and was at least a foot taller than him, making Luke look puny. 

I got up from my seat at the couch and got in between them. "I'm tired. So can you two please stop acting like kids and just freaking go to sleep?"

They both ignored me. "I have no clue why you hate me so much." Luke spat.

"As if it isn't obvious, Lukey-poo." He said, still talking in that condescending tone that made me want to punch him.

"I have a theory." Luke responded. He was actually being a bit calm.

"Why don't enlighten me then?" Darin said sarcastically.

"You hate me because Allison's in love with me."

Mine and Darin's jaw dropped.

"You lying prick. She's never said that to you."

"Maybe not. But I know." Luke's intense stare turned on me. "You do, don't you? When I lost my memories, I changed. And maybe you weren't in love with that stupid Luke that asked you to marry him, but you are in love with the Luke that sat beside you under the stars by the lake." He paused. "You're in love with me."

He looked so sure, so prominent. His gaze on me wasn't even hopeful, but confident. As if he knew for fact I was going to admit I was.

But there was Darin. He was standing there staring at me with the same intensity as Luke's, if not more. Darin had changed. I knew he had. He was a different person than the boy that left me to keep me out of trouble. But the vulnerability and hope he was staring at me with now was the Darin I fell in love with.

And here was both of these boys, two polar opposites, both staring at me waiting for me to reply to this confession I hadn't of suspected.

"Luke...I love you so much. I loved the old Luke and I love the new one too." I paused, wincing. "But I'm not in love with you. I'm sorry, Luke."

The tension hung in the air for awhile and Darin was smirking at his feet.

Luke eyes had torn away from mine. This demeanor he had been building up since he lost his memories was now broken.

He cleared his throat. "I'm gonna go out for walk." Luke moved toward the door.

"Luke-"

"Don't come looking for me, Allison. I just need some time alone." And then he was gone.

"I can't believe you." I snapped, infuriated.

"I know I screwed up, but he's deluded. Someone had to wake him up. He's got this image in his head of you and him together happily ever after." Darin growled.

"You knew that he was in love with me." I was standing a few inches away from him. "I didn't want to believe it but you really have changed. You're this completely different person. The Darin I loved was calm and reasonable. He didn't act like an complete idiot and try purposely to tick people off. He wasn't immature."  Darin's face fell. "The guy standing in front of me is someone I don't even recognize." I paused and stared at him, and a few tears fell down my cheek. "So yes you've screwed up. You screwed up things with me."

Darin stood there, his face pale and speechless.

"I have to go."

I pushed past him but as I did he grabbed my arm and spun me around, his lips brushing mine. Only a slight brush, like an hesitant artist with a paint brush, unsure of what to paint yet.

"What was that for?" I asked quietly, my heart beating fast and tingles running through my body.

His eyes were sad. "In case you don't come back."

<>~><~<>~><