(2) Selena Holmes

Chapter 2: Selena Holmes

~Allison's P.O.V~

My fingers stretch to the place where Darin should be. I grab the air as if grabbing for his hand.

This time his warm and comforting fingers don't lace through mine.

This time, he's not there whispering he loves me in my ear softly.

But I am. I whisper I love him and I don't stop. I stroke the pillow with his sweet scent still lingering there.

I sigh and pretend that he is close to me. Close enough that my desire for him is satisfied. I love him, I know I do. But why now? Why when we were finally answering some of our questions he leaves? Why does he leave when we were so close to each other? Finally. And he leaves.

It all makes no sense. I should've pretended like I didn't care about my father. But I did. And it was hard to hide things from Darin.

"Why?" I ask out loud to no one.

But a soft whisper answers me back anyways. "Because he loves you."

I close my eyes and imagine Darin's face in my head. Afraid that I'll forget him, I make sure the picture never leaves my mind. If he's not here, then he at least needs to be here in my heart. Where I know he'll never leave.

"Allison, I'm sorry. I had to-" The voice starts again. I snap open my eyes and glare at the person staring down at me.

Xander.

He's eyes are pleading me to forgive him, but...I can't. He let Darin get away. I let Darin get away.

"Allison, please..." Xander starts again but I cut him off.

"Forget it." I say sharply. I get up and try to get past him but he blocks me.

"Xander..." My eyes are throwing daggers at him but he ignores it.

"I'm really sorry, Allison," He says, putting his hands on my shoulders. "But the reason why I let him go was because... well, number one, he was doing it for you. Number two, I..I agree with his decision."

"What?!" I let my anger and furstration out and push him out of the way.

"Listen, I-"

"Save it." I mutter under my breath and open the window. I pull my legs onto the window and move where my legs are dangling out from it.

"What are you doing?" Now, Xander is the one who sounds angry. He grabs my arm and pulls, but I rip my arm out of his grasp.

"I'm going to find him, Xander. No matter what." With one last glare and a push off the window, I'm flying through the air and onto the ground below me.

Landing perfectly on my feet, I crouch around in till I'm in front of the hotel.

I look both ways and cross the street. Then, I quickly join a crowd of people and laugh and smile like I'm one of them.

The girls glanced at me and then turned around and snickered.

What? I look down at my clothes and suddenly understand. My shirt is caked in dirt and has a few blood stains. My jeans have burned edges from the fire and are pratically shorts because theu are ripped up so bad.

I touch my hair and know that it must be as bad as my clothes.

Now, I can't blend in at all.

I stop walking so confidently and let my body slump. If I can't blend in, why try? The girls glanced at me again, but this time with fear.