Having To Go

Charlie knew his mother was right. If he truly wanted Saffron to keep Saffron safe he'd have to go back to work.

But his family was important to him. He needed to be here to protect them.

"Charlie, what's up?" Arthur asked, coming up beside his son, patting him on his back.

"Dad, have you ever been in a situation where you know you have to do something but you also know that it's not right and you just can't?"

"Is this about going back to work?" Arthur frowned.

"Mum tell you?" he asked.

"Yeah, she told me about your letter."

"And?"

"I think you should go," he said. Charlie was shocked, he had for sure thought that his father would side with him and say that he should stay.

"What?"

"Charlie. It's not safe for you, or for Saffron I-"

"It's not safe for anyone, Dad. What makes Saffron and I special enough to run away," Charlie asked, crossing his arms.

"You wouldn't be running away. You would be at work, doing what you are supposed to be doing," his father said.

"Dad, the burrow has been burnt down how many times? Where have we been living for the past month? Think about Ginny at school. Do you have any idea where Ron is?" Charlie asked, anger boiling inside of him. Not at his Dad, or his mum, or anyone. But at this situation. The dark lord being back and no one being safe, this was not fair and not how it was meant to be. All the anger on the situation was bubbling inside of him, wanting to get out.

"How am I meant to return to work, do exactly what I've always done the right way, when all I can imagine is my family being hurt, being tortured or something like that," Charlie crossed his arms.

"Charlie it's not a choice. You have to go back," his father said. No he didn't want Charlie to leave, but safety is what he wanted for his son, and all his children.

"It is a choice dad, it's always a choice. It’s a matter of whether or not you choose the right one," Charlie said.

"And the right one in this case is to go back," Arthur said. "What about after, when this is all over? What if you've lost your job and can't go anywhere else?"

"We don't know how long this will last for Dad, a month two months, two years."

"Which is exactly why you need to leave. It could be a week before it's over but it could also be a year."

"I can't- I won't leave you," Charlie said.

"Then why are you asking yourself what to do when you know what you want to do?" Arthur asked.

"I don't know," Charlie shrugged.

"Before you fully make up your mind Charlie, think about Saffron," Arthur said.

"Why?" Charlie asked quickly, standing up straighter. Had his mum told his dad already? He wanted to be the one to tell him.

"Because if you stay, she will stay, if you go, she will go. Whatever you do, she will back you up on," Arthur said walking away.

Charlie bit his lip before turning around to punch a tree, which he regretted as soon as he had.