Friends

Saffron's head was still throbbing when she woke up late the next day.

A plate was on her bedside table, some toast and a glass of water. Sitting up slowly, Saffron reach for the glass and took a gulp of water. Rearranging her pillows, she grabbed the plate of toast and dug in, marmalade seeming a little flavourless but she was too hungry to care.

She thought about last night, trying to put everything together, but also not wanting to remember any of it.

Finishing her toast she put her hands over her eyes before remvoing them at the sound of a knock at her door.

"Saffron?" she heard Erica whisper.

"I'm awake," Saffron said hoarsly.

"Hey," Erica said peeking through the door. "You ok?"

"Yeah," Saffron nodded.

"Good. Look, Charlie's at the door and -"

"Not right now," Saffron shook her head.

"He's been waiting a while," Erica bit her lip.

"Erica, I can't just yet," Saffron said.

"Ok, I'll tell him," Erica said removing her head and going to shut the door.

"Erica, wait," Saffron sighed.

"Yeah?" Erica said peeking back in.

"Ok, send him in please," Saffron said.

"Oh, ok," Erica's eyes widened as she shut the door and went to let Charlie in.

Saffron chewed on her lip and played with the frill on her duvet, her breathing was heavey as she waited.

She held her breath as she heard footsteps outside her door, heaveier than Erica's.

A small knock at the door and Saffron was half panicking.

"Co-come in," she stuttered.

The door seemed to open painfully slow. Saffron kept her eyes trained on the duvet as the door came to a shut and the footstes came over to her bed.

"You can sit," Saffron nodded at a spot beside her legs.

Charlie sat down but the two still didn't say anything just yet.

"Did you want me to go?" Charlie asked.

"No, I'll start," Saffron said.

"Are you sure?"

"Y-yeah."

"Saffron, you're not even looking at me," Charlie said.

"I know," Saffron nodded. She could see his body in her peripheral vision but she still did not wish to look up at him.

"I'm sorry I have caused you pain. I really am. But I didn't only cause you pain, I caused myself some too. So I really don't see why you needed to do what you did. If you're mad at me, then so be it. But it's not like you to do those things Charlie and..," Saffron choked up, unable to continue.