Explanations

*George's POV*

"So Freya, tell us what your secret is."

We were sitting around the small dining table for dinner one night, Freya looked up in surprise at Fred's sudden question before taking a sip of the strawberry tea Freya had picked up for us.

"What do you mean?" Freya regarded Fred darkly as Fred shrugged.

"You're all alone in this big apartment, the back room is locked, certain things set you off, for instance the words: parents or family in general, sometimes even speaking about quidditch sets you on edge. Tell me, what is your secret?" Fred elaborated on his question.

Fred was being bold, he had guts to sit here and question Freya's habits—that, yes I was curious about, but knew better than to bring them up—and look so innocent about it. As if he were asking why the sky was blue, Fred sat there confidently, staring at Freya curiously.

The silence that followed was deafening, I leaned back in my seat as I noticed Freya's eyes flash darkly; I hadn't seen her use her wand for more than chores but she had told me that she was good with a jinx or two and wasn't afraid to fire one at random.

"You're guests in my home and you decide to interrogate me," Freya said quietly, her tone screamed danger.

"I don't mean to pry, but these are things I've just been noticing over the past month that I was curious about," Fred shrugged. God, he was bold; Freya looked like she wanted to pounce across the table at him but she remained seated—her hold on her fork was turning her knuckles white.

"My parents and brother died during one of my recitals about a few months ago, this was our home and I live alone because I have nowhere else to go right now, the rest of my family live far away or are estranged. The landlord was nice enough to let me stay here so I can finish school. That back room is locked because..." Freya took a shaky sip of the tea, her eyes flashed as she gazed at Fred who now looked like he was going to be sick, regret was evident on his face as he slunk low into his chair. "That room was my parents, I leave it locked because I can't handle to go in there or think about it, and I'd appreciate it if you—" Freya pointed her fork at Fred, pasta flying everywhere as she glared daggers. "didn't go poking your nose where it doesn't belong."

"I'm sorry," Fred whispered. I glanced at him, he truly looked guilty for his questioning as he glanced down at his food and away from that deadly look Freya was giving him. "How did they die?"

Freya was quiet; her eyes looked down at her food as she took a deep breath. "They had been driving to my recital, while sitting at a light someone crashed into the back of their car which caused them to go forward into the intersection...." A tear fell down Freya's cheek, her hands were shaking slightly as she thought back to the traumatic night, "they couldn't do anything...there was no time to react as a car came flying through the intersection and crashed into them...killing them on impact."

"Freya, god I'm an idiot. I'm so terribly—"

"They wanted me to identify the bodies...my one friend Lisa had to come and take me home, she got rid of most their photos....." Freya shook her head as she swiftly wiped her eyes, my heart broke for her, I wanted to pull her into a hug and tell her everything would be alright and by the look on Fred's face he did too.

"Why didn't they apparate out of the intersection or in general?" I whispered, I bit my lip as Freya looked up at me, her eyes bigger than ever.

"I ask myself that everyday..." Freya let out a cold laugh, "they were getting something for me since it was my first ever solo performance....but all I could picture was something that they had to search for and that's why they hadn't been apparating and instead just drove. I think the impact from behind was so sudden they couldn't react to anything else in time." She looked at her plate as her face turned into a glare. "We're halfbloods, but my parents believed there was nothing nicer than the muggle way to things such as transportation and entertainment often times."