Chapter 6 - Brothers

Danny walked into the school with Jon and caught my eye. My heart skipped a beat as the two boys walked towards me.

Why do I feel like this? I never felt this way with Jon, just Danny... And maybe even Eric... I thought as the two boys walked towards Sophie and I. Jon smiled but seemed to be looking past me and Danny was looking distractedly at the new surroundings.

I walked up to Jon who hugged me, like an old friend, but nothing more. Somthing was wrong. Just to be sure I went up on my tip-toes and pecked him on the lips. He stiffened and I looked at him, trying to figure it out.

Sophie was looking at Jon. A look of pure accusation in her green eyes. So she knows what's up with Jon. I thought but didn't push it. I'd ask Jon later.

"Hey, how's your first day been?" I asked, even though he'd just arrived. I needed to distract myself from the Jon issue.

"Good so far!" he said in a joking tone and we laughed. Just then Eric walked round the corner, spotted Danny and turned on his heel, heading the other way.

"What's up with Eric?" asked Sophie.

"Oh, he doesn't like his baby brother hanging with the girl likes." said Danny mater of factly.

"What? Eric's your brother?" I asked, shocked.

"And more importantly," said Sophie, "Who does he like?"

"Flo of course. Who doesn't like her?" I blushed and expected Jon to say something at this comment but he just stared at his feet. What was up with him?

"You see, Eric's a year older than me and I know we're total opposites. He looks like Dad, I look like Mum. Our sister, Clare, is a mix though." Danny explained.

"Yes, but why does he like me?" I asked, hiding my blush with my hair.

"I already told you, who doesn't?" Danny looked at me like I was an idot then said, "Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to come to church with me on Sunday. Eric won't be there and you can meet some of my friends."

I hadn't been to church in years. The last time I went it was because my friend, Joesy, persuaded me to go. She was really into all that religious stuff but I'd just found it boring.

"Sure, I'd love to come!" my lips said automatically and I mentally face palmed myself.

"I'll see you around!" he said as Jon lead him towards the school reception, giving me a timid smile. What no good-bye kiss? I couldn't remember the last time Jon didn't kiss me goodbye.

"Come on Sophie, we'll be late for class." I said and we walked in comfortable silence into the boring, grey, building.