Little Traitor

Ebony's lips were devouring MY man. Her hands were cupping his neck firmly, capturing him, caging him. My breathing was short, my eyes had widened. I started to feel dizzy once I saw Nathan's hands falling on her waist, as she kept kissing him.

"Nathan..."

His name dried on my lips, as if my lungs had just ran out of air. I started to feel lightheaded, struggling to keep my composure. As low as I might have whispered, it must have reached Nathan's ears, making him turn abruptly.

"Valeria!"

I barely had the time to support myself, stepping away from him. I was afraid of his touch. Of his fingers burning my skin after touching that woman. My face distorted with disgust while Nathan's eyes searched for mine.

"Let me explain, angel, please!"

I didn't reply. My heart was heavy, numb. My temples were throbbing, I felt nauseous. I wasn't sure if it was because I was feeling sick of what I saw, or some kind of bug. The result was one. I wanted to run away before humiliating myself more.

I shook my head no. Nathan's fingers froze an inch away from mine. He was afraid of touching me. His eyes were begging, his body was shaking. It felt like every sound, every person around us had been eliminated... until the laughter of the woman in the white suit flew between us like an arrow, piercing the air.

"Baby girl," he whispered.

I placed my hand on my forehead and took a deep breath. Looking at him dead in the eye as I gathered my strength to break my silence.

"I'm going to pick up my things. Give me an hour and I'll be gone."

"Please..." his palm wrapped around my wrist firmly, his voice was trembling, "don't do this."

I placed my free hand on his, feeling his burning skin. My throat was tightening threateningly. I bit my lip hard, trying to avoid an outburst that was lurking a breath away. Nathan's eyes filled with hope at my touch.

My eyebrows furrowed as I was fighting with my self. Fighting with the desire to confront him and with the desire to flee. As I slowly moved my hand downwards, drawing away his, Nathan's eyes widened in despair.

"I..." I paused, chocking back a gasp, "an hour. Give me an hour," I repeated.

Nathan's painful growl echoed in the corridor as I moved towards the exit. The stress had finally built up enough to turn into steamy tears, rolling down my face as I hurried to get out of there as fast as I could.

"Valeria!"

Colt called my name but I didn't reply, nor gave him the time to follow me. Bemused by the mixture of feelings boiling inside me I held my face inside my palms. My body was shaking uncontrollably, as if I had just fallen inside a tub full of ice.

"Valeria?" A soft, welcoming voice whispered my name.

I raised my gaze to see Jake holding his cigarette between his lips while he looked at me worryingly before approaching me.

"Hey, Jake," I smiled.

"Are you ok? Do you need anything?" His hand landed on my forearm, and this delicate move was all it took for me to stop holding myself back.

I opened my mouth several times but no sound was coming out until finally a sob escaped my lips with a thud.

"Hey, hey," he whispered as he took me inside his arms, tightening his embrace. "What's wrong? How can I help?"