Chapter 1

Juliet's POV

I woke up to the sound of police sirens.

I'm not surprised, that's usually my alarm.

They were across the street, arresting a guy I barley even know.

The apartment I lived in was small, but it's just me and my mom so it's okay.

I jumped in the shower and washed my long black hair, last night was awful.

I help my mom work at our diner around the block, and people from the bar got in a fight late at night when we were about to close.

My mom definitely can't handle drunk guys without me.

When I was done, I blow dried my hair and straightened it. I applied mascara to my brown eyes- which is the only makeup I usually want to wear.

I put on black jeans, tied a flannel around my waist, and wore a shirt that says,"I am not a morning person."

I went down the hall to the kitchen and grabbed my usual breakfast of a granola bar and water.

My mom left for work early, and since I have school I won't be able to help her at the diner today.

I locked my apartment, went down the elevator to the lobby, and went into the streets to go on the subway. My school is in New York City, so it takes a pretty long time to get there.

The subway isn't the most sanitary place.

I put on my headphones to drown out the chaos of people shuffling in and out, guys whistling at you, and hobo's staring down at you and begging you for money.

I caught my train to the city and found out I was the only one on the train.

I only had a few friends to get me by, Lesley and Michelle.

Lesley likes an upperclassman, named Matthew. He's a sophomore.

Michelle likes a guy named Shawn, who's in the same grade as Matt.

I took a few minutes and I reached the stop to where I had to walk to school.

Manhattan was the best compared to other parts of New York. It was brighter, cleaner, less crime, and it seemed happier.

I texted Lesley and Michelle in a group message.

Juliet: Where are you?

Lesley: Be there soon. Stopped by for coffee, want some?

Juliet: of course I want coffee. That's not even a question.

I locked my phone and headed into school.

I went down the 7th grade hallway and went to my locker.

My locker was in the beginning of the hallway, so I leaned against the wall next to it.

Someone was already at the locker under mine, so I had to wait.

That someone was Hayes Grier.

He's a real jerk because he usually just beats up people for no good reason, steals food from the store, and he's dated almost every single girl in the 7th grade.

Even worse his ex-girlfriend is Lesley, he just hooked up with her then hurt her.

He was one of those "obnoxious popular jerks."

I stood by my locker and waited for him to move.

"It won't do you any good to just stand there." Hayes took his books and stood up.

"Then why don't you move." I snapped.

"Why don't you make me?" He smirked and stood in front of my locker.

I pushed him, but he was too strong.

"Babe, that's won't work." He said in a voice that made you want to punch him.

He thought he was so much better than everyone else.

"Why don't you move before I try to fucking tackle you." I say seriously.

"That's if you can tackle me." He joked.

As I was about to punch him he grabbed my fist.

"I wouldn't try that, but next time you want me to move, why don't you try asking nicely?" Hayes looked at me and smiled annoyingly.

He let go of my fist and walked away.

"See you soon, babe." He laughed.

I really hated that kid.

I grabbed my books out and locked my locker.

That's when someone tapped my shoulder.

"What?!" I said, annoyed.

"Damn, we're just here to give you your coffee. But if you don't want it..." Lesley said as she was about to sip my coffee.

"You're funny." I said sarcastically as I took the coffee from her and took a sip.

"So I saw you talking to Hayes, then I saw you beat him up...Is everything okay?" Michelle asked.

"Yeah, he just annoys me so much." I rolled my eyes and tried to walk to homeroom.

"Jul, don't let him get to you." Lesley said.

"Don't worry." I smiled as I left.

Today was going to be fun..

2nd period

Math, I never really understood why I had to learn all about this.

It's not like we need to use the square root of pie some point in our lives.

I was one of the first to get there, there was a guy in the back corner, using his phone, and a girl in the middle reading.

I took a seat in the back and tried to organize my binder.

That's when someone slammed there books on the desk right next to mine, scaring me to death.

Hayes.

"I told you I'd see you soon." He smiled.

"Just leave me alone." I said.

"No wonder why nobody likes you.." Hayes trailed off.

"I just like to be alone. You shouldn't judge me, you don't know me." I rolled my eyes.

"I'd like to." He said.

"Now you're acting sweet to me..?!" I scoffed.

"You're the kind of girl that no one knows but everyone wants to. Mysterious.." He told me.

And he'll never know me as much as he wants to.

As soon as we finished the conversation, the room filled, and the class began.

~.~
A/N: Hey guys! Hope you like this! Sometimes the author's notes are so short because idk what to put in here so just bear with me. Love yous!