Fifty-third Chapter

• Dedicated kay Sa lahat ng naghintay

Jucylle's Point of View

"We have no choice, Jucylle. Dane's just 16. She must be on her junior high next academic year. You need to be 18 before you enter a college university. Why don't you listen to me?" dad said. I was inside his office. We're talking about school matters.

"But daddy! Didn't you read the letter? My transcripts are good. They wanted me to take test." I reasoned out. Dad changed his mind. He said I needed to be 18 before I get in to a university. And I was freaking 'cause I don't wanna remember what I had when I was in my senior year. I didn't want to remember what happened during prom. Why couldn't dad get it?

"No, Jucylle. You'll have no one with you if I let you go to Oxford. You're just sixteen." I palmed my face. Damn, bakit ba hindi ako maunawaan ni dad?

"That's why. I'm 16, dad. Don't treat me like I'm still a child." He looked at me and I looked away. I couldn't believe I was having an argument with my dad. We clearly talked about this. That's why mom sent my papers to Oxford. Goodness.

"I'm just concern about you. I know why you chose to be here instead of taking your bachelor's degree in Philippines. You're not fully recovered yet." I stood up before taking the envelope on his table.

"I'm taking the exam even if I'd have no one beside me. I can live alone. You let me live alone before, dad. Don't you trust me?" I asked. I saw how his face soften. Dad could never say no to me before.

"I do trust you. But I don't trust anyone who's going to be with you while you study in Oxford."

"It's not gonna happen again, dad. You need not to worry. I already know what's right and what's wrong. Trust me, okay?" He nodded. Finally.

"But you'll still have someone, Jucylle. I heard Ran's also taking the exam. You can go there together." I rolled my eyes. Ran, again. Puro nalang si Ran. Hindi ba pwedeng ang kakambal niya nalang ang makasama ko? Jeez.

"Fine, dad. I'll go to Oxford with Ran." Dad gave me a genuine smile before I even turn my back at him.

"Jocy, nandito ka ulit." manang said happily. I smiler at her as she scanned the man standing beside me. Ran's expression did not change. What a rude bastard! I went inside the house without even giving Ran a glimpse.

I sat on the sofa. We're moving here tomorrow. I was here yesterday and yet, I already missed the place. Ran sat beside me.

"Gutom ka na ba, Jocy? Saglit nalang at maluluto na ang pagkain." Manang headed her way back to the kitchen. I looked at the TV when I realized something, I haven't watched TV ever since I went back. I fished for the remote before making myself comfortable on the sofa.

I turned the television on. I wonder who's the new star these days. Is he a he or a she? Hmm. Quite confusing. I browsed the channels, looking for something good to watch. I narrowed my eyes when I saw someone familiar on the television. Goodness. I tried to grip the remote tightly but it slipped.

Ran looked at me as he picked the remote on the floor. Was I hallucinating? Really? Him? On the television? He has no interests on being-- no. No, Jucylle. You must be dreaming. That's not true. Baka kamukha niya lang iyon. I went nearer the screen and touched it.

"You better be careful next time." I didn't mind his words. Damn, is this how he become? I felt the side of my eyes stung.

"A-Arkin.." I whispered. Gosh, Arkin's a celebrity? Bakit hindi ko alam? Why didn't I see this coming? And why do I feel like touching him when I saw him on screen?