Chapter 67

Lucy Vincent Beach - Chilmark, MA 

The joy and laughter was minute compared to the sound of the ocean slapping against the shore, but it encompassed the group as they relaxed and were enjoying a time of renewal. Gone was the oppressive veil that had smothered them for so long. Today, they were going to forget it all - put it all behind them and seize the day. 

Frohike, Langly, Byers and Grant sat in a semi-circle, a game of poker holding their attention. They cheated constantly and were regularly caught, revealing hidden cards and stacked decks, but it didn't matter. It was all in fun, and among this group - expected. 

Will, Gibson and Lewis tossed a football about, scrambling in the sand to outsmart the imaginary team they faced - hiking, passing and intercepting - scoring amazing touchdowns in the final seconds of every game they played. Their laughter was contagious. 

Skinner and BJ manned the portable gas grill they'd hoisted down to the beach, cooking burgers and hot dogs while talking with Mulder and Scully who readied the plates, napkins and condiments. 

"Come and get it!" Skinner called out, bringing the boys in quickly from their game. 

Through the scuttle for food, chips and drinks and when every beach chair, blanket or cooler supported a body, Skinner banged the tongs against the grill, calling everyone to attention. 

"I'd like to propose a toast," he announced and raised his drink in the air. "To friends." 

"Here, here," the shouts went up, and everyone drank. 

"Can I say something?" Lewis asked to nods of approval. "Cheers to my best friend and major geek, William Mulder, aka... Loser!" he gave Will the finger. 

"You'll regret that!" Will took off after Lewis who was already making tracks towards the water, trying to prevent Will from pouring his cold drink down the back of his shirt. 

"You think they know?" BJ asked, looking from one to another. 

"Know what?" Langly asked. 

Frohike bounced an ice chip off the top of Langly's head. 

"I think William... Will does," Scully corrected herself. 

"It's not the end of the world," Byers spoke up. "So they won't be next door neighbors." 

"He's right," Mulder added. "I mean, look at us," his eyes searched the group. "More than twenty years now, and we're still friends." 

"Speak for yourself, Mulder," Langly joked. 

"It hasn't been that long for all of us, but it's been a real honor to be counted among this group. You people are special... incredible in your will to survive and in your dedication to one another. Maybe that's why you were chosen." 

"As were those we lost," Skinner added in tribute to Doggett, Sam and Jeremiah. 

The consensus was mutual around the circle. 

"One day, it'll be their battle," BJ pointed at Will and Lewis who were still chasing one another. "It's up to you," he directed Mulder and Scully, "to ensure they're given every opportunity to remain friends... to stay close... to nurture the connection that's already strong between them. It's that way for a reason." 

"But no pressure," Gibson said, slapping Mulder's shoulder. 

"No pressure," Scully smiled. 

"Speaking of pressure," Skinner pointed out, "I'd like you all to meet the newest member of the bureau... Grant will be helping me identify the super-soldiers who've infiltrated the bureau for starters and then we'll move on to other positions of leadership and so forth. My office will be monitoring certain cases whose MO lead us to believe super-soldiers may be involved. An investigation will ensue on a case-by-case basis. But it's not going to happen overnight. It'll take years."