Chapter 59

Spaceship - Central Control 

With the last of the spheres distributed about the room, Skinner and Grant met Sam at the exit door. He was searching the frame, but for what? 

"I was afraid of this," he said, shaking his head a bit. 

"Of what?" Skinner questioned. 

"Come," Sam said, and he moved to the center of the room where he sat down cross-legged on the floor, motioning for them to join him. 

The fact that they sat in a circle brought a smile to Sam's face and a lump to his throat. His eyes glistened with tears, and he swallowed hard. He was reminded of the years he'd spent with the Native people and with his brother, Albert. Despite being alien, there were certain aspects of humanity that he'd made his own. The bond of being many and yet being one was one such aspect. Somehow, these human bonds weaved their way in and out of different lives, and it was such a strong connection - spiritual he believed. He felt that bond with the twelve, and sitting here with Skinner and Grant, he felt it even stronger. 

"This is where we part company, my brothers." 

"Wait a minute..." Grant protested, but Sam held his hand up, silencing the young man. 

"I will speak, you will listen. Listen, remember and share it with the others. You must promise me that," he said with stern insistence, waiting for their acknowledgment which followed. "The battle that is coming... it has been long in coming. You believe it is a battle between humans and aliens over a planet that both would destroy if given the chance. It is not. It is between good and evil. We all know that there are good and bad players among both of our races. But most have been blind to the origins of this. It is the enemy's lies. It is a battle for the spirits within us. Some like you and your friends, like BJ, Jeremiah and myself... our spirits are honorable. Others have dark spirits, and that is where the true battle is... in the spirit itself. We either listen to the spirit, or we ignore it. It is that simple." 

"I don't get it," Grant said. "I don't hear any spirit inside of me." 

"You have heard it. Perhaps you did not recognize it, but you have listened, or you would not be here. Think back to the moment you first saw Dana. Did your spirit not ache for her?" 

Grant quickly recalled that he had felt drawn to her, and he acknowledged it before these men. 

"This mission we are on, it is not to save a boy, though we must do so if anyone is to survive. This mission is to put evil in its place... for a time anyway." 

"What is it about Will?" Skinner asked. "Why do they want to kill him? He's just a boy." 

"William is more than a boy. He is the first of his kind. They've been trying to create one like him for years. But every attempt failed because they used only lies, deceit and more recently, technology. William is the first creation born from both races out of love and not coercion. That is where his power comes from. He is the culmination that came about through the love between two races." 

"Mulder and Scully," Skinner confirmed. 

"Yes," Sam nodded. "Mulder's alien DNA and Scully's human DNA, perfectly joined in William. There is no other like him. He is the blueprint of his kind and will usher in a new race." 

"So why kill him?" Grant grasped for understanding. 

"William is powerful... a power that comes from both races. His abilities with his mind come from his alien DNA. His capacity for love comes from human DNA. That is why they want him dead. You see, love is stronger than evil. Love always wins. It always triumphs. Against it, evil cannot stand."