Chapter 38

Underground Tunnel 

"Mulder," Gibson said at the same instant he saw headlights in the distance. 

Skinner looked at the young man. He didn't respond, fearing he'd interrupt whatever it was that enabled him to read minds. 

"Don't worry," Gibson said. "Hearing your thoughts doesn't interfere. Remember, I was born with this. It's not something I had to learn." 

"That's Mulder?" 

"Yes," he said. 

"Is Scully with him?" 

"Yes!" Gibson smiled. "There's someone else." 

"Friend or foe?" 

"Friend." 

"Has Mulder got a plan?" 

"Mulder's always got a plan," Gibson said as he placed a hand on Skinner's shoulder, linking their thoughts as one. 

*** 

Mulder could sense them clearly. 

"It's Gibson. Skin Man's with him." 

"I thought he was with William." 

Mulder had the same thought, but Gibson quickly settled their fears. 

"It's okay. He's with Frohike." 

Scully started to relax until it hit her. 

"But Frohike's dead," she stuttered. "Frohike... the Gunmen... they died years ago!" 

"No, they didn't. A lot's changed since we were FBI, Scully." 

"Friends from the past?" Grant asked. 

"I went to their funeral at Arlington. Skinner said they were dead." 

"They're working for him. He knew where things were headed with the FBI, so he faked their deaths..." Mulder stopped mid-stream as they continued to draw nearer to the oncoming trucks. "Think it'll work," he asked Gibson. 

"It has to," Gibson answered. "It has to." 

USS Musgrave - Somewhere on the Atlantic 

At his desk on the USS Musgrave, the General sat, fingers folded, eyes straight ahead. No expression exhibited itself. Had someone walked into the room unaware that Musgrave was a super-soldier, they may have thought the man was dead because he was so still. 

When the knock came, only his mouth moved in response. Captain DuBois entered, reporting they had located the boy. He said no more, but awaited further orders. 

Musgrave cleared his throat, though as a super-soldier, it was not necessary but was simply a programmed response, making him appear more human. There were an infinite number of various responses and combination of responses, all determined by the mastermind of the super-soldier race. Each year brought newer and better enhancements in the creation of the superior race, but Musgrave gave no thought to it. He was above them all, and he answered only to the one that had put him in place. 

"Very well," he said. "Initiate tango x-ray foxtrot. We will commence at exactly fifteen hundred hours." 

"Yes, Sir," Captain DuBois acknowledged before leaving the room. 

Once again, Musgrave folded his fingers. In a little more than two hours, the boy would be his. 

Underground Tunnel 

The moment Mulder thought it, Skinner reacted, slamming on the breaks. He realized too late that he should have slowed down more than he had. The tanker shuddered and started sideways to the left, the rear of it creeping forward, bordering on wrapping itself around the front end. Rubber burned against the pavement, leaving black marks in its wake. The cab reeked of the burnt material.