Chapter 45

Underground Facility 

Will lay perfectly still - unconscious on the cold, steel table where his wet clothes clung to him, stiffening as they dried. In his thin arm, an IV was taped into place for the continuous administration of a sedative. 

"The cellular structure is similar," the doctor confirmed, "but it's even more advanced than what we saw in the sample taken from Alien subject 928." 

"How so?" Musgrave questioned, knowing he had to understand the complexity of this child's system in order to develop a weapon against it. 

"The accelerated rate of the auto-defense mechanism in place far exceeds the rate we witnessed earlier in the one belonging to Dana Scully. Even while the boy remains drugged, his cellular defense mechanism continues to evaluate the drug, making adjustments to counter its effects. After the first hour, had nothing more been administered, I calculate it would have been forcibly removed from his system within the hour." 

"Forcibly removed? How?" 

"I have yet to determine that. My initial guess was through the sweat glands but after closer study, I ruled that out." 

"Impossible. Human anatomy is far too primitive to make something disappear from its bio-neural system without a trace or a cause." 

"Agreed, but I have no explanation for it. It has to be something that came about through the mixing of his alien and human DNA." 

"It didn't happen in any of the test subjects before him." 

"He wasn't a test subject. He was bred naturally." 

"There is nothing natural about this child." 

"No, there isn't. His body continues to fight the increased dosage of the sedative and yet, I know he will eventually overcome it. I won't be able to administer enough to keep him sedated." 

"We need to beat this," Musgrave tightened his fists. 

"I do have an unconfirmed theory." 

Musgrave gestured for the doctor to continue. 

"By all accounts, the boy is human. Unless an examining physician has complete understanding of alien DNA and is looking for it, one would never discover the alien DNA as it has a way of disguising itself under intense scrutiny. We know the boy is not the first in his line to carry the alien DNA. We both know it began in the 40's. Normally, with the passage of each generation, the alien DNA evolves until it overpowers the human DNA resulting in any number of medical ailments. We know this from years of tracking other subjects. But it's not so with this child." 

"Why?" 

"Something happened in his line that blended the two DNAs perfectly. He is perfectly alien and yet, he's perfectly human. He is, by all accounts, a completely new species." 

"Mulder's system struggles with the compatibility of two DNAs as each fights for dominance." 

"The difference with Mulder is that his genetic makeup, for the most part, tolerates each aspect of the other unless he comes in contact with certain alien technology. When he does, as you've seen, there's a battle for control. I believe, in the boy's case, it has something to do with the DNA on his mother's side through the introduction of the vaccine that was administered to her years before the child was conceived." 

"Tell me. What are the possibilities of altering our own genetic makeup to include DNA from this boy? 

"Incorporate his DNA into our own?" 

"While we are far superior to humans in every way, we have two weaknesses." 

"Two? What is there other than magnetite?"