Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Elena wasn't lying when she said she'd make it up to me. I was halfway through my Saturday when she texted me that she wanted to hang out today. And so, I asked my mom if I could go, which she happily agreed to drive me.

I didn't really know what I'd been expecting Elena's house to look like. I know my house isn't anything special, so her house is probably going to be bigger than mine.

That wasn't the case at all. First, we drove to the neighborhood a couple streets from ours. When we turned and drove down, every house was two-stories and grander than mine, though there wasn't too much of a difference. Not until we pulled into the private drive that is.

A mailbox was placed lonely at the end of the road with the address number hanging hazardly on it. We turned into the private drive, ten-foot trees lining each side of the driveway. It gave off an entirely different feeling than the rest of the neighborhood with just the small road.

Seeing the house though, was the best and definitely most shocking part. It was elevated on a hill with red flowers scattered along the grass near the sidewalk. The house- no, mansion was made of grey stone with a dark roof. A balcony sat atop the edge of the second floor with a steely, smooth black railing. It wasn't too elaborate, but to me it was a mansion, albeit a smaller one.

I suddenly felt a little more than self-conscious over my very average car. It didn't help they had four sleek white cars parked outside the garage.

My mom decided to come with me inside, said she just wanted to meet the parents. I knew why she came. She was just as curious to see the inside of the house as I was. I held my phone a little tighter in my hand when I rang the doorbell.

Less than a minute later, the spruce door swung open. Elena grinned and welcomed us inside. She looked different when she wasn't at school. Her hair was more tame and she overall appeared more formal than her usually laid-back self, though I think it's impossible for her to ever not look insouciant.

The inside almost looked as elaborate as the outside. Two wooden staircases led to a visible upstairs, and there was a pathway leading forward, that went through a hall between each staircase, and two halls going left and right.

A woman with dark hair, paler skin, and a pencil skirt soon greeted my me and mom and whisked Mom away to the left hall to talk with her. She seemed friendly enough.

"Left goes to the kitchen and living room, right goes to the office, dining room, and stairs to the basement. Downstairs is the library, home theatre, and my brother's room. He had a choice whether to have a room upstairs or downstairs, I don't know why he picked the basement. There are a bunch of guest rooms, too. Oh, upstairs is my room, the master bedroom and a bunch more guest rooms, and the laundry room. Over there," she pointed to the space between each staircase,