.......

"I thought you said you weren't hungry," I pointed out. Wesley's eyebrow arched. "It's for you. I thought you'd be hungry." I shook my head. "I didn't bring any money for lunch. I forgot," I said quietly. Wes smiled slightly. "I'll buy it for you." I grinned. I actually was hungry. "Thanks," I said, looking directly at him. I'd never get over how piercing his look was. I felt like the only person in the world whenever he looked at me. It made me feel special and important, both feelings foreign to me.

I chewed on my burger slowly. It tasted awful. Parker was talking with Hunter, and Riley was speaking across the table to Lauren, completely ignoring me. I could tell Wes was getting kind of upset over it, but I gave him a don't-worry-about-it look. He smiled for a few seconds, then began to speak, before stopping. When he spoke next, he sounded kind of shy. I thought it to be rather cute. "What's your phone number?" He asked quietly. It seemed like he was in fear of rejection. I tore a piece of paper from my binder underneath the table. I then grabbed a pencil from my pencil pouch, Wes watching intently the whole time. I scribbled my phone number and handed it to him. His face lit up for a brief second. It was one of the most endearing gestures I'd ever seen. He stuffed the note in his pocket.

Lunch was over faster than I had expected. As we exited the cafeteria, Wes stayed right by my side. He didn't try to hide it, either. Girls would look at us with intrigued or envious expressions. I couldn't blame them. Wesley was every teenage-girl's dream boyfriend. He never batted an eye to any other girl. There wasn't exactly anything special about me. I had unruly dark hair and I thought myself to be too reserved. I liked staying on the sidelines. It was my comfort zone. But now, I was starting to gain attention. Attention because of Wesley. He was the reason everyone in the halls and cafeteria now look at me with those expressions. He's the reason I was almost late to math class on my first day of school. But he also is the reason I get so excited whenever I'm near him. I feel protected, special. He makes me feel like I'm more than what I am. I just hope I haven't started to fall in love with someone who turns out to be a completely different person. What were those rumors Elena had told me about Wesley in the library again?