Chapter 4

Chapter 4

English, French, P.E., and Economics. None of those classes had Wes in them. I talked to a few people, met the teachers, and jotted down my homework from each class. Although I had met some friendly people, I would not consider any of them my friends. It was my first day, after all.

As I walked down the crowded hallway, I saw the back of Elena's head. I caught up to her. "Elena!" I greeted happily. Elena turned around with a startled expression, Janet right beside her. "Oh, Flora! You scared me," Elena said, giggling slightly. I shrugged and walked beside Elena and Janet. As we neared the front doors of the school, I remembered what I wanted to ask.

"Have you seen Wesley? I haven't seen him at all today," I said quietly. Elena quirked one eyebrow and smirked. "I have not. By the way, what's up with you guys? Wesley's never liked a girl before. He tends to push people away," Elena said before thinking for a few seconds. I watched her expression change from thoughtfulness to recognition. "Actually, he and Riley seemed to be together the first two weeks of school, according to her. But it was so obvious he didn't like her back. But you can't say no to Riley. She goes crazy when she doesn't get what she wants. That's something they both have in common," Elena said distractedly.

Before I could question what she had said, I felt a hand firmly grip my shoulder, causing me to halt completely and put me immediately on guard. Elena and Janet didn't seem to notice, as they just continued on their way. "I've been looking for you," Wes said from behind me. "I was a few minutes late to each class." I tried my best to comprehend what he was saying. The mixture of loud noises, glances from students, and Wesley's voice all began to make me anxious. "Our classes must be far apart," I retorted shakily. He had yet to remove his hand from my shoulder.

I shrugged, effectively removing his grip on me. It made me uncomfortable, especially in such a social setting. He was giving off a rough impression.

"I need to talk to you," He said quickly in a no-nonsense voice. I walked forward, Wes walking by my side. "Have you heard the rumors yet?" He sounded nervous. The tone didn't match him. I continued walking out of the building. "I've heard some. I don't believe in rumors, though," I reassured him. I wasn't being completely truthful towards him. The rumors did scare me a bit. I was hoping that by some chance, they may have been false. "No," he shook his head. "I have to be honest. There's a lot of things I need to tell you," he muttered out. I shrugged, sweating slightly. "Why?" I didn't mean to sound rude, especially since it was pretty obvious he was trying to open up to me. His face tightened. "I... thought you may want to know. There's a lot of things being said around me in school. I just want to make sure it's clear for you." He sounded hurt. I immediately felt bad. But I just met him today. Why was he opening up so quickly?

"Why do you feel the need to reassure me, Wes?" He furrowed his eyebrows. "I don't want to scare you off. I want you to stay at lunch, and I want to be around you," he said,