.

everything going perfectly. At least I had bus buddy, even if the ride for me was pretty short. I'm practically neighbors with the school.

Elena sighed as she looked out the window. "We're here. Carson High." I looked out the window as well. I felt myself getting nervous and shaky and tense all over again. Feelings I had completely forgotten about just a few minutes ago.

It was a pretty large school. The brick was a light brown color and there were windows scattered along the building. It was exactly how I expected it to be. The only difference was a tall oak tree on the very left side of the school. There was also a fenced off area behind the building. It was filled with gravel and dirt. I assumed that it was there for future construction.

Elena tapped me on my shoulder, scaring me a bit. "Are you excited for your first day?" All of a sudden I realized that I was indeed coming to this school in the middle of the year. I turned towards Elena, giving her the best smile I could at my time of anxiousness. "I'd say I'm more scared than anything."

The bus squeaked a little as it pulled to a stop. Each person stood up. Elena and I got up as well and I went into the line and began walking down the aisle cluttered with students. Elena was right behind me. When I reached Ms. Kay, I quickly muttered a thank you. I didn't want to be considered a suck-up or anything, but I really like the frizzy-haired, kind woman. "You're welcome," she said back. It was quiet and rushed, but the tone was nice. I felt a quick surge of warmth at the response and then left the bus with Elena.

When we got on the bus and stepped onto the sidewalk, Elena was immediately greeted by many people. It made sense to me. There was a reason I had picked her to sit next to on the bus. She had a comforting presence and she showed it through the way she spoke to others. She was currently speaking animatedly to a petite blonde girl. I was too enthralled by Elena's expressions to actually care about the topic of the conversation. Her smile lit up as she explained every detail of everything. I picked up a few words that caught my attention like beach, party, and brother.

Elena's eyes widened a little as if forgetting something extremely important. "Oh! I forgot! Janet, this is my new friend!" Elena smiled and pointed her thumb towards me. Janet turned to look closely at me. She had to look up a bit to see my face. Her dull eyes looked unenthusiastically back to me. Janet didn't smile, but she didn't frown either. I saw the way she would get excited and caught up in what Elena was saying, but she quickly would try to return to her stoic expression. She smiled politely. "Hi," she said quickly. Not much emotion, just a proper greeting. "I'm Flora," I answered back in a soft voice.

The three of us walked into the school together. Elena and Janet kept laughing and chatting. Even though I was the blatant third-wheel, it barely bothered me. It'd be selfish of me to demand so much attention when I'd just met Elena. So I decided to take in my surroundings a bit more.

Everyone wore similar outfits and spoke in the same hurried voice. It felt so trivial to me. Such a large crowd of people and yet no diversity when it came to personality. At least, that is the impression I was getting. I prepared myself for it, high school wasn't supposed to be an enthralling experience.

We soon entered the building. The walls were white and the lockers were grey. There were three ways to go from the entrance. Left, right and forward. I was assuming the one that went straight ahead was the main hall. It was bigger than the two others.