Chapter 1

Chapter 1

My anxiety was rising to the point where my whole body was shaking. I tried to make myself calm down. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, starting a new high school. But I was joining in the middle of the year. Everyone had already made their friend groups. Everyone was basically set for the year. At least, this is what I kept telling myself. I'm not the care-free person I'd like to picture myself as. My goal is to pass and graduate. A little less than two years, then I'll be off to college.

I let out a shaky breath and slowly walked up the bus steps. The bus driver was a middle-aged woman who was slightly overweight. Her hair was graying and frizzy. It fell just below her shoulder. Her green eyes widened for a split second in interest.

"Don't think we've met. You're new to my bus. What's your name?" Her voice was direct to the point where some would think she was trying to be rude, but I knew better.

"I'm new. My name is Flora." I mumbled the last part, slightly worried if the rest of the people on the bus were listening to the conversation. She gave me a small smile and emphasized the wrinkles around her thin lips. "Ms. Kay." I nodded politely and turned towards the aisle. Freshmen up front, seniors in the back. Just like I expected. My eyes scanned each face briefly. I began to feel my palms sweat. Everyone looked glum. Each seat was either a one-seater or a two-seater. Being a sophomore, I generally looked to the middle of the bus. Each person had on a similar pessimistic expression.

Each step I took overpowered the silence of the bus, causing every other person look up briefly. Everyone seemed the same, except one girl. Though the only difference between her and the rest was the fact that she had made eye contact with me for a couple seconds. Her expression softened a little when she saw me. I decided to take that as a friendly gesture and quickly made my way towards her.

I sat down beside her and grinned lightly, hoping she'd be a kind girl. It'd make me feel a lot less anxious if I knew I had a person to sit with on the bus everyday for school. The girl cocked her head to the side a little, as if studying me a bit before smiling. Her warm brown eyes crinkled at the sides. I instantly knew she was a warm person. "I'm Elena." She had a slight accent that for the life of me, I couldn't pinpoint. It sounded slightly spanish, but it was definitely diluted. I felt so happy that I might just make my first friend in this new high school. "My name is Flora," I said in a friendly voice. I wanted to make sure I got along with this girl.

She looked down and giggled quietly. I faked offense. "What's so funny?" I asked in a teasingly accusing voice. "I already know." She gestured her head towards the front of the bus where Ms. Kay was seated. I ran my hands down my face. "Did everyone hear me?" I groaned. Elena smiled. "Yes."

We both laughed quietly. The feeling felt foreign in a way. I guess I'd been stressed over nothing. Maybe school wouldn't be so bad. Elena looked at me again as if deep in thought. Her eyes then widened, her hands waving frantically. "Oh! Let me see your schedule!" She said excitedly. My heart beat faster at the sudden request. I immediately unzipped my polka-dot backpack and pulled out a white folder with my schedule in it. Elena quickly got hers out, too.

We compared classes. She raised one dark eyebrow. "Not a single class." I sighed dejectedly. Of course we didn't have any classes together. It'd be too nice of a thing to happen,