Chapter 7

Chapter 7

When I entered English, I immediately looked towards the back row. Dylan was right. We did have the same class together. I clutched my backpack a little tighter, remembering what Dylan had said earlier. I didn't want to lead him on. I would have to tell him flat-out that I could never like someone as much as Wesley.

I'd already concluded that whatever Wes had going on at home or in his life, I would still love him. The way I feel around him isn't something that can be brought down easily.

I made my way to the empty seat next to Dylan. I was all the way in the back corner, whereas Dylan was sitting beside Jared. The guy who sported thick, black glasses who sat at study hall with us at the library.

"I told you we sit next to each other," Dylan said in a friendly tone. Had he forgotten about his confession at lunch? There wasn't a trace of hurt in his voice. I felt slightly relieved he wasn't upset.

"Flora, you know Jared, right?" I leaned forward in my seat a little to look at Jared. "Yeah, you were sitting at the table during study hall." His expression was kind of bored and lazy. I forced a smile. "I'm also going to the mall," I continued when Jared didn't say anything. He nodded. "Cool."

"Quiet down." Mrs. Conner's strict voice caused us both to sit straightly in our seats. Dylan leaned over to me. "He takes a while to open up," he said, referring to Jared. I gave Dylan a small smile, then turned my attention to the lesson on the board.

Class went by smoothly, although I could tell Dylan was focusing more on me than what Mrs. Conner was actually teaching. He would do little things to make me distracted. Things like tilt my pencil or scribble something small on my worksheet. I found it to be kind of cute, in an annoying sort of way.

When class ended, Dylan almost immediately suggested we walk together to French. I reluctantly complied. I just hoped we didn't run into Wes on the way there.

"So, do you want to sit together in the car?" Dylan perkily asked. I stopped looking around for Wes to turn to him briefly. "Sure," I said blandly, continuing to scan each person we passed down the hall.

We were almost to Mr. Baudin's class when I saw him. Wes stood a few feet from the door entering to French. Calculating, cold blue eyes fell on Dylan. I then realized that it was no coincidence Wes was right next to the French room. He must've been waiting for me, somehow knowing that my next class would be in that room.

"Hey, Wesley. It's been a while," Dylan spoke sarcastically, as if subtly mocking Wes. Wes's glare intensified. I almost backed away. "What kind of game are you playing?" Wes asked Dylan, catching me off guard. "Why're you around her so much?" There was an edge to his tone that signaled he was trying to control his emotions.