..

Every house is either two stories or one story. My house is one story, and it's smaller than most houses in the neighborhood. I kind of like it though, it's quaint and my room has a nice view of the road. My old house was larger, in a richer neighborhood, and was by a lake. But things happen. And it just so happened that my dad had to move jobs in the middle of the year.

I was nearing my house when I realized my phone was vibrating in my pocket. I took it out and examined it. Six messages from Wes.

Can you help me study?

Flora.

Flora.

Flora.

Do u want to be the cause of me failing a test?

Flora.

I groaned. How on earth are people actually afraid of this guy? I began texting him back.

I'll ask. If my mom says no, I'm not going? Deal?

I waited for a few seconds.

No. No deal. If your mom says no, then you ask your dad.

I already knew was I was going to say next, but his next text had me too shocked to say anything.

Flora, look behind u.

I was on guard immediately. Hesitantly, I turned around and almost screamed in frightful when I saw that Wes was jogging towards me. He was sweating, his sandy hair coming down in bangs and framing his alluring eyes. I felt myself redden. "What the heck?" I said, exasperated. He's such an idiot. "What are you doing, Wes? Stalking me?" He raised his eyebrows comically. "Before you make such accusations, I'm on bus two. My neighborhood is right across from yours. I needed to tell you some things, and I just so happened to barely see you down the street when I got off the bus." He sounded like he was trying to catch his breath. I nodded. "Makes perfect sense," I retorted sarcastically.

Wes pointed briefly towards my house. "Is this one yours?" I crossed my arms. "Yeah," I said, looking at my new, modest house. He smiled. "It's cute." I rolled my eyes. "What's so important that you had to tell me?" I asked. Wes ignored my question, looking at the kitchen window for far too long. "Well right now, I was about to ask if I could come in, but I don't think Mom wants me to." I glanced and saw my mom staring at Wes and I. Her expression was dead-serious. Brown eyes squinting, and a frown on her dark skin. I cringed in embarrassment. Wes, I really should go. He laughed. "You owe me a walk, Flora." I sighed. "Alright, Wes. Please, just let me go home." He pouted. "Fine. Say hi to the mom for me." I ignored him and began walking inside. When I made it to the door, he was still watching me. When I noticed the look in his dazed eyes, he quickly turned and began jogging up the street.

"Who was that?"My mother's distinctively foreign accent rang in my ears. "Just a friend, Mom." She raised one dark brow as she continued to fry whatever food she was making. It smelled like chicken. She scoffed lightly. "That boy loves my daughter. He's very handsome, a bit rough-looking, but handsome," she said in a suggestive tone. I laughed out loud, shaking my