Chapter 11

When I woke in the morning I was alone on the sofa and feeling very hung over. It was sure it was that third or fourth bottle of wine that did it.

"Urrghhh," I groaned getting up and staggering to the bathroom. I looked at the state of me in the bathroom mirror and was very thankful that Edward was not here to see the state of me. In fact where was he?

The noise of the shop made me do a double take. The shop was open! Who opened it? What time was it?

I rushed into my bedroom and looked at the alarm clock. It was nearly midday! All the rushing back to my room and panicking took its toll as I had a dizzy spell and lay on the bed, my heart raced and I started to sweat bullets. I lay there for a few minutes to catch my breath before making the decision to have a cool shower. I staggered through to the bathroom, swilling my mouth out under the tap and drinking water I caught in my hands. Turned on the shower and stripped off. It was just what I needed but I soon lost the will to stand in it as I felt like I should make myself sick in order to feel better. I sat in the bath letting the shower run over me whilst I contemplated putting my fingers down my throat.

"Victoria," I heard called over the shower.

"Yeah," I replied my head against the tiles to ease the ache in my head.

"Are you suffering?" Edward asked.

"Yes," I replied too hung over to care that I left the bathroom door open as a habit and now there was only a shower curtain between my naked body and Edward.

"Turn the shower off and come out I will get you some painkillers and water," he replied.

"No I like it in here," I moaned too tired to move.

The shower curtain moved behind me and a hand reached in turning the shower off.

"Owww," I whimpered.

"Here take the towel," he said passing it behind the curtain with one hand.

I realised I didn't have the energy to get up. "I think you may have to ask Mary to come help me up," I said feeling a right idiot.

"What? Seriously?" Edward asked sounding concerned.

"Yeah," I replied regretfully. "I feel like shit and can't get up."

"I'm sorry," he said sounding regretful that he had gotten me so drunk that I was in this state.

"Self inflicted," I said.

"I'll fetch someone," he said and disappeared.

"Where is the birthday girl?" I heard Gerard boom a few minutes later.

"Oh great!" I said as the shower curtain suddenly felt transparent.

"Lying on the floor in the bath hung over. I passed her a towel," Edward replied.

Gerard sighed. "Go pull the bed clothes back," he said to Edward. "I'm coming in," he said to me.

"What! No!" I said but he was already stood in the bath with his eyes closed as I scrambled to cover myself with the now wet towel.

"Are you covered?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied and he opened his eyes.

"Look at the state of you," he said half amused and the other half concerned. He bent down and hauled me up into his arms. "No more drink for you," he said like a father carrying his drunken daughter home.

When we got to my room Edward wasn't there. Mary was though and she was not impressed.

"For god sake look at her. Edward you are in big trouble!" she yelled as Gerard placed me on the bed and I moaned as I felt sick again.

"I'll get a bowl," Gerard said as he left the room.

Mary closed the door as I pulled the wet towel off me and pulled on the underwear and vest she had left on the bed.

"I feel awful, worse by the minute," I said as she wiped my face with a flannel as I apparently had make up around my eyes.

"Did you have a good night?" she asked.

"Wonderful," I said.

"Do you want me to help get that amazing necklace off your neck?" she asked.

"Oh my god I have got it wet!" I said panicking as I forgot about it.

"Diamonds aren't afraid of water," she said reaching to help take it off. She held it in her hand admiring it. "You know when a man gives a woman diamonds it's a sign of commitment," she said.

"Or a sign that it is her birthday," I mumbled as she put it on the side cabinet.

"Did he give you something else for your birthday?" she teased giving me a naughty grin.

"No, I got drunk and fell asleep on him," I replied and laughed with embarrassment.

"What is so funny?" Gerard asked arriving back with my bowl in case I got sick.

"I was teasing her. Asking if she got lucky last night," Mary said making me hide under the covers as Gerard laughed asking what the answer was.

"Get out!" I yelled to them both.

"Look at this," Mary said obviously holding up the necklace. "I am not going to tell you what I would have to do with my husband to get a gift like this..."

"OUT!" I yelled.

They left laughing their asses off at me. I fell asleep a few horribly hung over minutes later. An hour later I woke to guzzle some water from the glass at the side, my head was spinning and I felt worse. I decided it was no good I had to be sick. I staggered to the bathroom and knelt in front of the toilet hanging over the bowl as I put two fingers in my mouth. It took just the slightest touch and I was violently sick to the point of dry heaving, eyes streaming and body shaking.

I was glad no one was around to witness it as I checked the toilet for puke splatter. Red wine makes such a mess!

I felt better already as I brushed my teeth and decided I needed to invest in waterproof mascara as the remnants of last nights application was all the way down my face again due to my eyes streaming from getting sick. I heard people laughing downstairs and thanked god the student musicians had come to play for the day. My puking was the last thing I wanted customers to hear.

Iwalked out of the bathroom and into the front room to get some more water fromthe kitchen. My necklace was on the living room table back in its box. Mary hadobviously been showing it off to Bet and the others. As I fetched my drink Iheard the rustling of papers. Edward must be a back. Oh god I was in myunderwear! I looked around the kitchen there was nothing I could cover up withother than a Tea towel... oh god. Just walk out casually and straight back toyour room I told myself. One deep breath of confidence later and I walked outto the shock of my life.