Chapter Thirty-Three

Shay

I nervously waited for Matte at the table. I knew this wasn't going to be a pleasant encounter. He's been one-word texting me all day and I know he's upset. Especially if he was planning on proposing to me. I know I have to tread lightly because feelings are a fragile thing and even though I'm not in love with Matte, I still have love for him as a friend.

I saw him coming and smiled at him. He gave me an icy look before sitting back down at the table. There was an awkward silence before he released an angry chuckle.

Matte: So, this whole time, you were just stringing me along?
Shay: No Matte, it wasn't like that?
Matte: What was it like then? Because now that I'm looking back at it, you were never truly invested in us
Shay: (sighs) Matte, I must start off with an apology. I'm so, so sorry. You are a good friend and you were familiar territory to me. When I first met you all those years ago, I had a serious crush on you and wanted to explore a relationship. But things didn't work out and we went our separate ways. Then I met Sasha... and everything just changed for me
Matte: This is crazy. You do realize that you... She was 12 when you all met!
Shay: Yes, that's why I didn't pursue her at first. I kept my distance and we remained friends. Understand Matte, I never meant to-
Matte: But you did! You knew when you started talking to me that I never really had a chance
Shay: (looks around/noticing the attention) Matte, calm down-
Matte: NO! Don't tell me to calm down! I wanted to fucking marry you Shay!

I looked down, a little embarrassed by the looks we were getting and also the pure emotion from Matte. I knew this situation would be messy but... the heart wants what it wants, and my heart clearly wants Sasha.

Matte: Just tell me one thing
Shay: (looks up) What?
Matte: Did you ever really love me?
Shay: So much! But not in the way that you want. I will always love you as a friend
Matte: (chuckles) Yeah, that's not a possibility. I think we should cut all ties
Shay: (sighs) Matte
Matte: I cannot believe that I'm being dumped... for a woman (loud laughs)
Shay: (squares up shoulders) That woman, loves me more than you ever could. She makes me feel free and alive. When we're together, I feel love and joy. There's never a point where she makes me feel stupid or dampens the mood with her bullshit. So, yes, I'm dumping you for a woman. But don't at any point feel like you are the victim. We both know the only reason you wanted to marry me don't we? (throws down napkin/money on the table) Goodbye Matte (walks off)

Although I'll miss his friendship, there's something more amazing waiting for me.

Sasha

I anxiously waited for Shay to show up. I couldn't wait another minute to hold her in my arms. The moment I got home, I packed all of my things. This house was something that Hudson and I picked out together the moment I turned 18. We came to an agreement that I would buy the house and Hudson would work to keep it up.

As I embark on this journey with Shay, I want to start fresh. I know that Shay's been working on her house forever and put a lot into it, so I know that I couldn't ask her to give that up. I called Dani and asked her to look up some places for me. In the meantime, I'd stay with Kenn.

I heard the doorknob turn and I frowned. Shay has always rang the doorbell when she came even though she knows where all the spare keys are. The door slammed and I turned the corner to see an angry Hudson standing in the living room.

Hud: What the fuck were you thinking?!
S: (taken aback by his anger) Hudson... I-I'm
Hud: You're what huh? You're fucking what?!
S: (sighs) I'm sorry!
Hud: You're sorry?! (laughs) You've fucked up everything!

He stalked closer to me and I backed up. He looked around at the house, noting how I've backed up my things. I noticed the exact moment that rage took over him and he pulled a gun from his jacket pocket.

Hud: Do you really think I'd let you leave me this easy? (laughs) You better think again bitch!
S: (hands up) Hud-
Hud: (yells) Shut up! Just shut up! God! This wasn't supposed to happen this way!
S: What are you talking about?
Hud: You! And, and! Fuck! The plan was to marry you, create a name and then divorce you! But now, that's never gonna happen cause you and that tramp!

I began to look around for a way out or something to grab to get him away from me. He saw it and jumped over a chair to try and grab me. I screamed and ran around the sofa. I grabbed one of the candle holders on the table and held it up. He released a sick laugh and charged at me again. I hit him across the back with it ad hard as I could but it did nothing. He grabbed me and I continued to scream.

I heard the door opening and someone saying my name. Hudson was tightening his arm around my neck and I could barely scream for Shay to get help and stay outside. She gasped as she walked in and Hudson quickly turned around, aiming the gun right at her. Fear ran through me and I knew I had to do something. There's no way I'd let him hurt Shay.

I took my elbow and I swung it back into his stomach as hard as I could. But the gun still went off. I screamed as I watched the love of my love fan down to the ground. I took the candle holder again and wildly struck Hudson, hitting him hard across the held. He dropped the gun and I grabbed it. I kicked him before running over to Shay, noticing that there was lots of blood on her stomach area.

I tried to talk to her but she could only look at me through narrowed eyes. She tried to say something to me but she started to cough up blood. Oh God no!

I grabbed my phone.

S: I need an ambulance. NOW!