EPILOGUE (pt. 1) : "Circle Of Promise"

“Only God could stop me loving you

Only God could tell me not to

He sent you from Heaven

Just to make my dreams come true

When he opened the door

That you came walking through

Only God could stop me loving you.”

- Only God Could Stop Me Loving You,  TOBY KEITH

__________________________________

 “So what do you think?”

Sitting in the passenger seat, lost in deep thought, Jonah’s question brought Noble back to the here and now. He glanced up. “About what?”

“About dad and Colleen opening their home to foster kids.” Jonah’s eyes were on the road, a smile playing tauntingly at the corners of his lips.

“I think…” Noble’s lips tightened and he looked out the passenger window. “I think it’s amazing.”

Jonah chuckled softly. “That little guy they had there tonight was sure a cutie.”

Noble smiled and murmured, “Yeah, he was.” The last thing he’d expected when they’d entered Mason’s home – was to be greeted by two year old little boy in an aviator cap. His first thought had been that he belonged to Keith’s family, possibly his nephew, and had come with Rebecca and Keith. But Mason had soon informed them that they had been talking for awhile and decided to become foster parents. Noble wasn’t shocked by this news, though it was unexpected. Mason had a heart the size of Texas, and it broke in a big way when he thought about all the kids out there without families or people to care for them.

Two-year-old Jory was their first foster child, and kind of a test. The agency suggested they take him in on a trial run, make sure this is really what they want to do. Both Mason and Colleen were clearly already in love with the boy and Noble suspected they might not want to let him go should he be adopted. But he couldn’t blame them, Jory had done a swift work of stealing all their hearts tonight.

“Check this out.” Jonah grinned and opened his phone then handed it to Noble.

“What?” Noble took the cell, and a sudden unexpected knot formed in his throat as he stared at the background pic on the display; Noble asleep in Mason’s recliner, with Jory crashed out on his chest. He licked his lips and smiled. “You took a picture.”

“Of course.” Jonah chuckled and glanced at him, eyes glowing warmly. “You think I was going to pass up that shot? It was too damn adorable.”

Noble laughed softly and looked at the picture again. The boy had seemed to attach himself to Noble, following him from room to room, crawling into his lap whenever he sat down, and ultimately, falling asleep on his chest before Colleen finally took him and put him to bed. Noble had tried to tell himself not to let the boy burrow too deep into his heart, that his presence in their lives was temporary, but one look in those big beautiful eyes and Noble was gone. He glanced at Jonah. He guessed he just had a weakness for beautiful boys.

“Maybe we should get one.” Jonah said suddenly then winked at Noble.

Get one?” Noble shook his head and laughed. “They’re not puppies that you buy from a pet store.”

Jonah chuckled. “I know that, silly. But even so…”

Images of Jory’s bright eyes and smiling face filled his head. Noble’s chest tightened. “I overheard Rebecca and Keith talking.” He said quietly. “About considering adopting Jory, after the wedding.”