Romance In All Its Strategy

“I am here still waiting

though I still have my doubts
I am damaged at best

like you've already figured out…

And I'm hanging on to the words you say
You said that I will be okay.”

 - Broken,  LIFEHOUSE

*  *  *  *

“Magic, it must be magic

 The way I hold you and the night just seems to fly

 Easy for you to take me to a star

 Heaven is that moment when I look into your eyes.”

- I Just Fall In Love Again,  ANNE MURRAY

__________________________________

The tension in Noble tightened his muscles until he felt stiff as a board – and not in the way Jonah would have preferred. His arms slid around the man’s waist, pulling Noble closer against him. “Just close your eyes.” Jonah whispered against his ear. “Hold onto me and forget about everything and everyone else. It’s just us here, in our own little, wonderful world.” He rubbed his hands up Noble’s back, pressing against his skin through his shirt. Oh god, baby, you feel so good in my arms. “Focus on me…my touch…” he brushed his lips against his neck. “My kiss…and just relax, baby, and…dance with me.”

Noble’s arms tentatively wrapped around his neck and his cheek pressed warm against his shoulder, his breath soft against his neck. The young man’s surrender to his heart – despite the lingering fears – made Jonah want to squeeze him in his arms until they both passed out. He knew that Noble still saw himself as weak, but if he could only see how far he had really come. The fact that he was standing here, in a room full of people, and dancing with the man he loved…that in itself was a screaming testament that the chains were breaking and falling away. Some still remained, naturally. But Jonah had no doubt they, too, would soon crumble.

I love you…for real love you. He pressed his face into Noble’s hair and breathed in the wonderful scent of shampoo mingled with Noble’s cologne. He loves me. He really loves me. Jonah’s arms tightened a fraction, and Noble responded by squeezing his own arms around Jonah’s neck, his face pushing more snugly against his throat. The young man’s eyelashes felt damp as they fluttered softly against his sensitive skin. Say it again, baby, he pleaded silently, tell me you love me, keep saying it, over and over. Please don’t ever stop.

“Don’t let go of me.” Noble trembled. His fingertips played at the nape of Jonah’s neck, sending tiny shivers racing through his body.

“Never crossed my mind.” Jonah whispered and held him closer.

Noble hugged him tighter and his warm lips grazed Jonah’s ear. “I meant it.” A soft shuddered rippled his quiet voice. “What I said in the car.”

Jonah’s heart struggled to claw out of his chest. “I know you meant it, baby.” He whispered. “I meant it too.” He rubbed his hands down Noble’s back. “I’d marry you right now tonight, if you’d say yes.” He drew back and brushed his lips across Noble’s mouth. “And that ain’t no lie.”

Noble’s eyes filmed with tears. “Please tell me this is really right.” His fingers gripped the back of Jonah’s neck. “Please say it’s really okay for me to love you this way.”