Total Eclipse Of The Heart

I would rather have you hate me

Knowing who I really am

Than to try and make you love me

Being something that I can’t.”

- God Knows I Tried, RAY BOLTZ

* * * *

If I could make sweet love to you

All through the night

All the problems of my world

Would slowly fade away.”

- Hold Me Now, DAN HILL

* * * *

If it was up to you
You'd say you need protection
When all you really need is me.”

- What's It Gonna Be,BRYAN ADAMS

_______________________________

That text on your phone was from him.

His mind went numb so suddenly he just stared blankly at the man when he turned away. Only a faint heartbeat pumped in his chest as his pulse slowed to a near stand still. A mental paralysis gripped him and though his mind screamed at him to grab the phone, he couldn't seem to make his body obey.

The text was from...Noble?!

A sudden breath shot down his throat and his mind cleared, his hand snapping out and snatching the phone off the table so fast he nearly dropped it.

“Oh, by the way.” Keith turned back and Jonah jumped a little. “I'm looking for a place outside the city. If you hear of anything, maybe you could let me know?”

Jonah's chest heaved, the phone squeezed in his fist. “Uh...yeah...sure.”

“Let me give you my number.” Keith walked back to the table. “Do you want me to just put it into your phone?”

Eyes lowering to his cell, Jonah swallowed hard. His hand seemed unwilling to release it, as if in letting go of the phone, he might lose Noble's message.

“You okay?”

“Huh?” Jonah glanced up then cleared his throat. “Yeah.” his voice rasped and he forced himself to hand over the phone. His eyes never left the device as Keith added his name and number to the contact list.

A notable hesitation resonated from the man as he started to hand the phone back then faltered momentarily. “Please...extend my best wishes to Rebecca and...Noble.”

“Of course.” Just give me back my fucking phone! “I'll be sure and do that.”

“Here.” he handed Jonah the cell.

It took great effort not to rip it from the man's hand, and only when it was safely back in his grasp did Jonah feel a bit of relief.

“I'll see you around.” Keith gave a small wave and walked away.

Jonah watched him for a moment to make sure he was really going this time, then looked at the phone. He snapped it open, went to his messages then hesitated when he saw Noble's name on the only unread text. His heart began to pump harder, slamming back and forth between his spine and chest wall like a ping-pong ball.