Is This Really Love, That We're In

“Look around
There's no one but you and me
Right here and now
The way it was meant to be
There's a smile on my face
Knowing that together everything that's in our way
We're better than alright

- Between The Raindrops,  LIFEHOUSE

“I spent a lifetime waiting

 Always hesitating until you

 I was lost so deep inside my shell

 'Til you came and saved me from myself

 Now all I really know

 Is I need you.”

- Love Of My Life,  DAN HILL

____________________________________

“So, uh…how’d your talk with Becca go?” Jonah cast the young man a quick glance from behind the wheel, then smiled when Noble shook his head slowly.

“About as well as you’d expect.” He looked at Jonah. “she…refuses to call off the wedding.” He averted his eyes and looked out the passenger window of the car. “She says that God will fix everything…fix me.”

“And why would He do that?” Jonah smiled warmly and reached over, taking his hand and lifting it to his lips, kissing Noble’s fingers. “Unlike human beings, God doesn’t try to fix what isn’t broken.”

Swallowing thickly, Noble smiled and looked at him. “I…told your dad.”

“Told him what?” Jonah held onto his hand but turned his eyes to the road.

Noble squeezed his fingers and murmured, “I told him I couldn’t…marry Rebecca. And…” He hesitated and Jonah glanced at him. “And that…I loved you.”

The car slowed as Jonah’s foot instinctively let up off the gas. His heart was suddenly in his throat, pumping so hard and so fast it nearly choked him. He steered the car to the shoulder, shoved it into park then looked at Noble. “You told him…” his chest heaved and eyes burned as he shifted his gaze to the front windshield and rubbed his hand over his mouth, letting it linger. “Well that…” he cleared his throat then returned his stare to the young man. “That wasn’t hardly fair.”

Uncertainty tightened Noble’s face as he clearly began to doubt his decision in confessing to Mason. “I don’t…”

Jonah reached over and slid his fingers through Noble’s hair, drawing him closer and kissing him softly. “It wasn’t fair that he got to hear you say it…before I did,” he whispered against Noble’s lips. The guy relaxed when he realized Jonah wasn’t upset with him. He kissed Noble’s brow then his lips once more. “Do you really…love me? I mean…love…love me?” he smiled, his heart on the verge of exploding from his chest. “Really? For real love me?

His lips tight, Noble buried his face in Jonah’s throat and nodded, “I do…I love you…for real love you.”

Jonah closed his eyes, his face pinching with emotion, and pulled Noble into his arms, holding him tight. “I love you, too, baby.” He kissed his hair and hugged him tighter, then ducked his head and kissed Noble’s face. The young man lifted up and kissed Jonah’s mouth. When he drew back, Jonah slid the tip of his thumb along the curve of Noble’s jaw. “There’s no taking it back…now that you’ve said it out loud.” He smiled and kissed him ever so lightly, “Okay?”

“I won’t ever take it back.” Noble whispered.

Jonah smiled and nuzzled his ear. “Do I still have to behave…after this confession?”