Love Undeniable

"Don't tell me who to love

Don't tell me who to kiss

Don't tell me that there's something wrong

Because I feel like this

Don't tell me 'no'

Don't tell me who to love."

- Don't Tell Me Who To Love,  RAY BOLTZ

*  *  *  *

Something's wrong in heaven tonight

You can almost hear them cry

Angels to the left and the right

Saying 'What about the love?

What about the love?

What about the love?"

- What About The Love,  SHAWN THOMAS

_________________________________ 

 The bed felt extra empty tonight when Jonah crawled between the sheets. Noble should be here. Why the hell didn't you bring him home with you? A deep ache settled in his heart that spread out through his arms; god, how he longed to be holding him now. He groaned and glanced at the glowing digital clock. Nearly midnight. He stared at his cell phone. I just need to hear his voice one more time. Just hear him tell me good night...that he loves me. Sighing, he grabbed the phone and dialed Noble's landline number. He had no idea if he would still be awake, the guy had been pretty exhausted when Jonah had dropped him off. He smiled and moaned at the sweet, sizzling memories they had made tonight.

The phone at Noble's end rang only three times before the answering machine picked up. Jonah waited for the beep then left his message. "Hey, baby. Hope I didn't wake you by calling so late. But I couldn't go to sleep without telling you again what an amazing time I had tonight, and that I already miss you and wish I had just asked you to come home with me. When you told me you loved me tonight...I almost died. And when you held me, kissed me...I think I did die, because this can only be heaven. I love you, Noble. So much, baby. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Get lots of rest...you're going to need it. Sweet dreams, baby. Good night."

Jonah ended the call, held the cell phone to his chest and released a long breath, smiling, then set the phone back on the night stand. He still felt high from their date. But as he laid there staring at the dark ceiling, a sudden and unexpected anxiety began to pinch and prod at his gut. He had no idea where it was coming from, but it made him restless, uneasy. And he didn't like it one bit.

......................

Noble was up for the second time since he'd made his way to the bedroom, in the bathroom again, feeling the need to vomit from his mangled guts and the pain in his ribs and back. Each dry heave felt like a hot blade stabbing between his rib bones, grinding up into his chest. His hands gripped the toilet seat, arms supporting his trembling body as he stared down into the clear water. Nothing rank or vile had come out of him since he'd vomited in the kitchen sink. But his stomach was still fighting the earlier assault it suffered, and continued to revolt.

When the phone rang, he jerked hard, pulse kicking up so fast he gasped. He held his breath – which kind of eased the pain – and strained to hear if his dad would answer. But the machine grabbed the call instead. A broken sob rolled up his throat when he heard Jonah's voice come through. The machine's volume was too low for him to make out his words, but he could hear the tone...and he knew what he was saying. His hands gripped the toilet seat and he squeezed his eyes tight as more sobs began to choke him. He was desperate to run to the phone and grab it before Jonah hung up, beg him to come and take him away from here, just get in the car and drive and not stop until they were hundreds, even thousands of miles away.