Torn In Two For You

“By now you know that I'd come for you
No one but you, yes I'd come for you
But only if you told me to
And I'd fight for you
I'd lie, it's true
Give my life for you
You know I'd always come for you.”

- I’d Come For You,NICKELBACK

____________________________

 The pain presented itself before his eyes could even open, though it felt dulled somehow. A pillow supported his head and the bed beneath him was moderately soft. It felt good to be laying down again. He didn’t try to move, sensing the pain waiting right there to stab through him. A low voice came to him muffled, but close by. A male voice.

Noble’s throat worked, his mouth dry as he tried to swallow. “Jonah…” the name barely made it to his lips and he wasn’t for certain if it actually reached open air. Had Jonah come for him? Rescued him from his father’s assault? If so, he couldn’t imagine that his dad would still be breathing. Such a thought neither startled nor bothered him, though he wondered if it should have.

When a hand wrapped around his, he instinctively grabbed on, throat working more quickly. “Jonah…” his voice cracked, weak, broken, eyes stinging. But as strong fingers tightened just enough to hurt – he knew it wasn’t Jonah.

“Open your eyes, Noble.” His dad’s voice was clearer now. “Look at me.”

Tears began to seep down his temples as he slowly opened his eyes; Jonah wasn’t here. And he was still alone with his dad. The man loomed over him and Noble realized he was lying in a hospital bed. It still hurt to breathe, though not as bad as before, and he suspected they had given him some pain medication.

His dad stared down at him and Noble searched for remorse in the man’s eyes, but found none. “Our business is our business.” Alan spoke low, though his voice lacked softness. “What happens within our own family is private. You know that though the lessons are hard, they are also necessary. But others wouldn’t understand that.” He retained his tight, uncomfortable grip on Noble’s hand. “So to avoid outside scrutiny…this is what happened.”

Noble’s head spun as he listened to his father recite the details that he had given to the paramedics, and then the doctor. Warm tears drained out as the truth of his father’s brutality was systematically buried beneath the lies that he insisted Noble corroborate. Jonah won’t believe your bullshit story. He’ll know what you did. He knows what you are.

 “Your mother, Rebecca and her parents are on their way over.” Alan said. “And you will tell them exactly what I’ve told you.” He squeezed his hand again and Noble winced, tears thickening. “Do you understand me, son?”

Noble just stared at him, hating him more than he thought he could hate another human being. Alan must have detected his resistance and possible notions of defiance, because he leaned down closer and stroked his fingers through Noble’s hair. “Remember what I said about your boyfriend.” He nearly spit in his face, voice lowered to a whisper. “In case you don’t recall just who makes up the members of my country club, I have people who can reach into any facet of a person’s life – and fuck it up royally.” His fingers twisted around Noble’s strands, tightening. “Is that what you want? To see your faggot boyfriend brought to ruin? His entire life shredded?”

Squeezing his eyes shut, sobs breaking through him, Noble shook his head slowly. “No.” he choked.

“Then we have an understanding.” Alan murmured. “Do we not?”

Noble choked on a hard sob, eyes clamped shut, and nodded, “Yes.”

“And you’re going to fix things with Rebecca.” It wasn’t a question. “And the wedding will go forth.”