Right Here Waiting

Don't you forget about me, baby

Don't you forget about me now

Some day you'll turn around and ask me

Why did I let you go.”

- Don't You Forget About Me, ENRIQUE IGLESIAS

* * * *

It must have been love but it's over now.

It must have been good but I lost it somehow.

It must have been love but it's over now.

From the moment we touched, 'til the time had run out.”

- It Must Have Been Love, ROXETTE

________________________________

When the bathroom door opened, Mason could swear a different man emerged than the one who had excused himself from the kitchen barely ten minutes ago. There was numbness to Noble's movement – yet a strange peace in his tear damp eyes. What could have changed so drastically in such a short period of time?

“Are you okay?” Mason asked again, quiet.

“Yeah.” Noble murmured, that numbness infecting his voice. His eyes focused and set on Mason. “I'm going to...go home. I'll talk to Rebecca tomorrow.” A notable hesitation, then, “In fact...there's something I need to talk to all of you about.”

Mason frowned, pulse quickening. “What is it?”

Shaking his head, Noble whispered, “Tomorrow. Right now...I just want to go home.”

Nodding, Mason replied, “Okay.” He squeezed Noble's shoulder affectionately. “I'm sure everything will work out fine. Rebecca's just upset. More with me, I'm sure, than you.”

“What did she say to Jonah.” Noble asked softly. “That made you get after her?”

Mason rubbed his hand over his mouth and shook his head, Rebecca's choice of words still cutting his heart. “I'd rather not repeat it.”

Noble nodded slowly, almost knowingly, as if he could guess what she had said to the man.

Do you still want to marry her? The question was right there. Are you even still in love with her? But he pulled the words back. There was no doubt something was different about Noble, and lately his attentiveness to Rebecca seemed almost nil. As if he was barely aware of her at all.

Mason walked Noble to the door. The young man was silent until he stepped outside then turned around. “Do you think...Jonah will really leave...for good?”

An ache tightened Noble's voice that thoroughly baffled Mason; the man seemed more concerned about Jonah leaving – than clearing up this mess with Rebecca.

“I think so.” Mason said, and his own voice squeezed with emotion. It tore him up that Jonah felt so unwelcome in his own family. He looked at Noble. “I want to ask you a question, Noble. And please be honest with your answer. Whatever you say, it's all right.” The young man tensed instantly, and Mason had to wonder just what, exactly, Noble thought he was going to ask. “Do you feel...uncomfortable around Jonah...because he's...gay?”