On My Way To You

“More and more I start to realize,
I can reach my tomorrow,
I can hold my head up high,
And it's all because you're by my side

When you look me in the eyes,
And tell me that you love me.
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side.
When you look me in the eyes,
I catch a glimpse of heaven.
I find my paradise,
When you look me in the eyes.”

 - When You Look Me In The Eyes,  JONAS BROTHERS

_________________________________

 The cell had a slightly stale urine stench to it and Jonah could think of a lot of other things he’d rather have gracing his nostrils right now. Like the scent of Noble’s cologne when your face is pressed against his neck. He smiled and tucked his hands under his head and crossed his ankles, staring at the ceiling of the jail cell. Yes, exactly that.

His hands throbbed but it was a good pain and he cherished it. He wasn’t entirely sure if God was the one who orchestrated the events that led to Jonah’s opportunity to beat down Noble’s dad – but he liked to think so. Some lessons were necessary. And though Jonah had never thought of himself as a teacher…he rather enjoyed the role while it lasted.

He sighed and closed his eyes. Noble hadn’t looked none too happy when the police had handcuffed Jonah and took him away, but he’d assured the guy he would be all right – and reminded him again that he had promised to visit him every day. That put a smile on his beautiful face, if only for a moment. But every smile Noble gave him, he gathered up like wild flowers and stored them away for those times – like now – when he couldn’t be with him, couldn’t see his face with his own eyes. Though he had no regrets in the beating he’d administered, the thought of actually doing time and being kept from Noble filled his gut with heaviness. They had been so close to making love. Their plans had been for tonight.

God, please don’t make us have to wait years to be together again. I’ll go crazy.

But he couldn’t imagine Alan or Tessa Richman just letting this go. They would want retribution for the pain and humiliation, and as icing on their vengeance cake – Noble would suffer from having his faggot boyfriend thrown in prison for assault.

“God.” Jonah murmured and opened his eyes. “I know you can turn this around, if you choose. And if you don’t…then help me have enough integrity to face up to the responsibilities of my actions, without bitterness.”

“Only in jail a few hours and you’re already talking to yourself?”

Jonah flinched hard, his head snapping to the side. His dad stood outside the cell, a somewhat smart-ass smile on his face. “Dad.” Jonah hopped off the top bunk and walked to the door. His dad rested his arms through the bars and took hold of Jonah’s swollen hands.

“Do they hurt bad?” he asked with real concern.

“A little.” Jonah shrugged, then smiled. “But it was worth it.”

“I can’t totally disagree.”

Jonah chuckled softly then pressed his lips tight. “Thanks, dad.”

“For what?” Mason asked.

“For being there to keep me from going too far.” He squeezed his dad’s hands with affection and love, ignoring the throbbing pain in his own. “And for…never treating me like a disappointment. Or making me feel…unloved or unwanted in any way.” He licked his lips, eyes stinging. “For just being…a good dad.” He swallowed hard then cleared his throat. “You’re the reason I made it through after…Patrick. And I think that it was you, even more so than me, that helped Noble keep his head above water.” His vision blurred. “He needed a father to tell him…that there was nothing wrong with him, that it was okay to feel the way he did. And you…were there for him.”