A heart that died

He was easily a foot taller than me, probably even more. Half of his face received the luminous moonlight while the other half was carefully hidden away in the shadows.

Just like the moon was tonight.

His hooded eyes were restless as they were scanning me for hidden clues. His raven-black wet hair was all over the place like he had run a hand through them after getting out of the water. His body structure looked like he worked out. Broad shoulders, wide chest, and muscular legs were all defined by his wet clothes.

"We should get going then, my brother is probably getting a hunting party ready." I was the first one to disengage the stare down. Although I found him annoying when he looked straight into my eyes, like he saw right through me, for some reason, I wasn't scared of him.

We were soon in his car on the way to my house, I was giving him directions as he drove, and I couldn't help but stare at him. The light inside finally exposed his features. He was intriguing and he had a distinctive smirk on his face because he knew I was staring at him.

He had handed me his leather jacket as soon as we first got into the car, and I had put it on me like a safety blanket. It was huge for my body even including the curves and big bust.

"Your eyes..." I trailed off as I turned my whole body towards him and sat sideways on the passenger seat "They are reeaallyy..."

"Boring, I know." Venom and disappointment poured out of his voice.

"No..." I stretched the 'o' and before I could say something he interrupted again. RUDE MUCH?

"They are the darkest shades of brown... well to be honest even in the sunlight they are black so, yeah. Not brown, just plain black." Okay, he's annoying.

"Dude..." Irritated, I sat up from my seat and he quickly turned to look at me as the moonlight shone through the glass. "I was going to say "beautiful" but you just...ergh..." I flicked my wrist at him and looked out my window.

"Ohh, that's something ... new... no one ever said that to me." He genuinely sounded surprised.

"Well no one ever tried to save ME before, but you did." Before I could comprehend what I just said, the words had already slipped out of my mouth. Stupid, now he's gonna think I'm a psycho.

To my dismay, his face formed an unfamiliar expression that people wouldn't usually show after hearing something like that.

He smiled.

"I guess there's always a first time for everything." He turned his head to look straight ahead while driving with one hand and left the other to linger near my knees.

"What were you doing there? If you don't mind me asking." By now I was fully facing him.

"I'm new in town, I was just roaming around, and I really liked the view from the shore so I decided to check it out when I saw someone ... you know ... falling." He looked straight at me before saying the last word, once again sending chills down my spine.

He quickly grabbed my knee, the material of his jacket separating his skin from mine. I could feel the warmth of his skin seeping through the thin material.

"Are you okay... you nearly left me there?" I widened my eyes and dazed around a little before grabbing onto his hand.

"I'm just..." Obviously, he had to interrupt.

"Tired? Aren't we all." He chuckled. He's not just a pretty face after all.

By the time we were outside my house I realized I was still holding onto him, which, somehow didn't seem awkward.

"Well, this is me!" Looking out the window I let go of his hand. As soon as I got out of the car I heard him "ermm".

"Kira." I turned with a smile and gently closed the door only to see him crawl out of his seat and walk over to my side right in front of where I was standing.

"My name is Kira Ray Royals." I said as I tilted my head to the right and, with a nod, I started walking backward, towards the driveway of my house.

"Caleb, my name is Caleb Jackson." He leaned back onto the hood of his car and stuffed his hands into his wet, jeans pockets.

"Mmm, how formal." I teased. Immediately he stopped smiling and started to walk towards me until my face was centimetres away from his chest.

"Whatever is going on, it too shall pass." He didn't have any mischief in this voice. Just plain and simple sincerity, like someone who knew what I was feeling.

"Erm..." I looked down and moved back one step. "... and you shouldn't stand too close to me, it hurts my neck to look up at you." That smile was back onto his face again.

Somehow, that smile seemed sad, like there was a painful secret behind it. Boy, this guy had mystery written all over his face.

"It's not my fault short stuff." Is that the best that he can do with comebacks?

"I'd ask if you want to come in, but I have a lot of things that need to be taken care of..." My heart pounded against my chest while I politely told him to go away.

"It's okay I understand..." he started walking back to his car. "Till next time then, and hopefully we would be in dry clothes and be in a restaurant." He smirked.

I furrowed my brows and smirked. "And maybe next time I'd ask you to come in, IF, my brother doesn't kill you first." That drained all the mischief out of his face. He stood there stunned, scared and pale. Which was interesting to see because, he's really tanned.

"Well..." He looked sideways to the ground while he thought of a comeback "If I have to take a bullet or two!" He upturned his lips and shrugged which made me laugh.

"Thank you for today, I mean you made me forget about a lot, now that I realize it." God, I did forget about how depressed I was. I honestly forgot about all the things that were eating me up alive back then, and how they all had hit me, weighing me down into an all-encompassing and dark depth as it swallowed me whole or, at least, tried and failed to, thanks to Caleb.

"Anyways Kira, I'll make sure to see you soon." His voice was so soothing in my ear, it made me forget all over again.

As I walked back to my house, the anchor in my heart started weighing me down again. All the mind-numbing thoughts rushed to my head.

As I closed the door behind me, I heard tire screeches, scurrying away. Realising the fact that he waited until I was safely inside, tugged at my heart.

A heart that died a long time ago.

----------------------
Thank you for reading, please vote and comment
-Kat