Family Secret

Kira's P.O.V.

"So, how are you NOT mad that he knows?" I half screamed at him, which didn't even make him flinch considering the fact I was half the size of him.

"I don't know K, just chill 'cause no one will believe him, plus we look alike." The calmness in his voice made me want to punch him in his throat.

"Are you kidding me? But how does he know though?" I slammed my head back against the passenger seat and pulled my knees up to my chest.

"Look, he seems like a good kid...and I owe him my life and because of him, you're here and I can't BE mad at him for knowing what he did for me." His eyes kept alternating between me and the road.

"So you approve him?" I frowned at him because he knows I can never like anyone, I'm not capable of feeling anymore and he knew exactly why.

"Not necessarily, I'm saying let him prove whatever he wants to because somewhere along the line you WILL find someone who will know you better than yourself and accept you for who you truly are." He shuffled in his seat leaning closer towards me, keeping a firm hand on the steering wheel.

"Is that you talking or Lacey?" I had to change the subject.

"Lacey's got nothing to do with this, I promise but I ... I dunno I trust that dude with you. And he doesn't seem like the player type..." He paused to chuckle "Hell I would know...I was one."

"And then the player quarterback met the lovely nerd who changed his life." Note the sarcasm. "I mean what's with that, I don't get it."

"Hey... it's not like that... sometimes you gotta let the RIGHT person in and I know that YOU are an expert at reading people, so if you let someone in, you'll know exactly what you're getting yourself into and I'll be there to protect you no matter what." He ended his lecture as we pulled up in our drive way.

"I'll see okay...!" I got out of the passenger seat and slammed the door shut. "So what's the deal between you and Lacey then, I know you really like her but ... the sneaking around thing?" I wiggled my eyebrows at him with a smirk.

"There's no deal, she just doesn't like our group and you know what I mean." He unlocked the door and waited for me to walk in.

"Does she know about Saira?" I really liked Saira honestly but I guess girls like us don't get their prince charming.

"No, not yet, you think its right for me to tell her?" We both threw our bags on the dirty brown leathered sofa and headed straight towards the kitchen that was located on the other side of the hallway which contained spiral stairs leading up to the second floor and if you know the Royals, you would know that we LOVE to eat.

"I don't really know, 'cause I genuinely love Saira and I know her personally, you don't get a smart, sweet and caring, captain of the cheerleaders like her these days. So... until I get to know Lacey I'm still team Saira." I hopped on to the middle counter of the kitchen, crossing my leg as I watched Shane get some ingredients out of the fridge that was on my right.

"Yeah, but after that incident, I just lost that... spark I guess, just can't trust her anymore." He took out an oven dish from one of the bottom drawers.

"I will punch you if you blame that on her, that was all Veroni-ca." I arched an eyebrow while pointing a finger at him.

"I know but it's just..." He stopped what he was doing and turned towards me leaning against the counter opposite me. "I wasn't IN love with her, sure I liked her but it just faded away."

"Mmm, I get you, but then again Saira deserves better than you." I sighed.

"You're my sister and you're supporting her?" He cocked an eyebrow at me with astonishment dripping down from his voice.

"No, it's just the fact you left her when she needed you the most..." The flashbacks of her hysterical sobbing night after night flashed before my eyes. "I was so disappointed in you."

"I was scared K, you know that." It's true, I've never seen this guy so petrified and out of his mind, not even yesterday at the hospital.

I sighed "I know but you did manage to pull yourself together at the end... but wait, how's Aunty P?" My voice trembled under my breath.

"She's fine, she will be up and walking by now." He assured me. "She doesn't blame you at all; in fact, it's my entire fault."

"How?" He wasn't even involved in this situation.

"Because if I didn't go out with Lacey, I would have been the one who went Kick-boxing with you, and mom wouldn't have had to pick you up. So it's my fault." By now he was standing right in front of me with both his hands firmly resting on my shoulders.

"Is that why you're avoiding Lacey? Cause you were with Ryder and Drew most of the time today." I gave him a sympathetic glance as he went back to cooking.

"I don't know, everything is so complicated with us... you know Vera Gale? She always had a crush on me ... after that night" He lowered his voice. "She has it out for Lacey, giving her a hard time and all." The concern in his voice almost came across as a sob.

"The only person who can protect her is you and I know you really like this girl so I'll give you an advice..." I hopped off the counter to head upstairs. "Tell her about Saira and baby before she finds out from Vera."

At dinner, Shane told me that Aunty Penelope will be discharged tomorrow which I am extremely glad about and her injuries were minor, if something really happened to her I could have never forgiven myself. I almost couldn't believe that she had a car crash while driving to pick me up from The Ring.

Shane and Aunty P had done so much for me it was unreal. Shane would always come home early to look after me when I came home from the hospital last year.

Since then he stopped going to parties and bringing the girls home ritual, instead, he would spend Friday and Saturday nights with me in the living room watching re-runs of One Tree Hill or Vampire Diaries or Teen Wolf.

He didn't even know me 2 years ago and the fact he took me under his wing and helped me get through my situation made me realize that there are good people in this cruel world. He and his mum were nothing like the people I was forced to associate with before.

Shane and his mum restored my faith in humanity that I thought I could never find. They gave me hope and peace and a roof over my head yet I couldn't get out of my old habits. Like they say, old habits die hard.

Despite the fact that Aunty P legally adopted me, she wanted me to be known as her daughter, not her niece and, considering the fact Shane and I look alike, it was easier for us to lie to others.

Shane told everyone in school that his parents divorced at a very young age and I was living with his dad. This partial lie worked smoothly considering the fact Aunty P was divorced and the plan fell perfectly into place.

I loved living here in this beautiful house with two of my saviors. A well-constructed house situated in the middle of a curbed lane, surrounded by trees and bushes among other houses.

A sheen creamy white color covered the outside of the three-story house and the inside was as cozy as it looked on the outside. Spiral stairs placed in the middle of the hallway leading to the next floor which held 3 medium sized bedrooms with en-suit.