Steps To Trust

Kira's P.O.V

To my dismay, Friday didn't take long to come No matter how much I prayed for otherwise. You know the type of feeling you get right inside your stomach when you're nervous, yes? 

Multiply that by 100 and that will be the exact feeling I felt waking up this Friday morning. I just couldn't shake off that feeling. I even told Shane about it but, he swiftly shrugged it off because he was itching to show off his "girlfriend" to everyone at the party.

Wednesday at lunch Shane told me he was going to ask Lacey out in front of everyone to prove that he didn't care about his image or her label. 

Thus, he decided to stand up on our table that located in the middle of the canteen and ask Lacey out. The poor girl was completely shocked out of her mind and her skin mimicked the ghost of Casper's color.

"Look at Vera..." Maya nudged me with her elbow.

Vera looked like a furious bull ready to pounce on Lacey any minute, it also didn't help that Shane was waving a red rose right in front of her face.

"I have this feeling Friday is gonna be a dis-as-ter." I frowned towards Maya.

"Oh, I can't come on Friday because my parents are going out of town and I have to look after my little brother." Maya said before she bit into her burger.

"It's fine, I wish I had an excuse like that... but NOOO, Kira always has to get dragged into everything." Talking in the third person was one of Devon's specialties which I quickly got infected by.

"Go with Caleb" Maya's face was as serious as a snake.

"You're not joking, are you?" I leaned forward to get a better view of her face.

"No, I mean that boy's been staring at you when no one's looking." I quickly snapped my head in the direction that she was staring at. She was right, whenever he was being distracted by a bimbo, his eyes found mine and he would quickly look away. "You should let him in, he seems different."

"Different as in what? One eye, 2 noses and 3 ears?" I raised my eyebrows while squinting at her. "All boys are the same when a situation gets tough; they always run the other way... I mean look at Shane..." I pointed in his direction only to find him sucking Lacey's face off. 

"When things got tough with Saira, he ran to her." I tried not to sound bitter but I didn't approve of his actions and how he dealt with the situation when Saira decided to have their baby. He knew exactly why I didn't approve of it but, he still refused to be a part of his daughter's life.

"Is Saira okay with it?" Maya inquired.

"She tries to pretend that she is but, I know that she still loves him."

"I heard she hooked up with Brody?" Maya looked confused.

"Yup, she did, she's just hooking up with guys now." I knew that her approach to this particular 'getting over Shane' situation was wrong and could end horribly but I understood why she's doing that. At least she's not depending on drugs to get by.

"Friends with benefit never ends in a good way" Maya rested her chin on my shoulder while looking at Saira.

I didn't say anything after that, however, our serious conversation fell under Caleb's radar.

"What happened at lunch? You and Maya looked like someone died." Caleb finally caught up with me after the 4th lesson while I was on my way to Chemistry.

"Don't you have a lesson to go to?" I kept my voice low.

"Yeah Chemistry with Mrs. Oza" I halted in my spot.