Chapter 56 - " If Only...."

Start from the beginning

 "I'm sorry hun. You're going through so much right now. First Zayn, the fire, and all the Harry drama, I feel so bad."

 Rachel forced a smile on her face to keep herself from crying. "No, it's alright. I'm perfectly fine. Don't you worry." 

Danielle crossed her arms, not convinced one bit at what Rachel was telling her. Then, there was a loud knock at the door.

 "I'll answer it don't worry." Rachel flashed one last quick smile at her and walked towards the door. 

"I'm going to go get some sleep now though Rach, I'm really tired. Goodnight!"

 "Goodnight Danielle." 

She unlatched the lock, and open opened the door. She was surprised at who she saw. It was... Stephanie.

 "Steph? Hey, what brings you here? Come on in." 

Rachel stepped aside to let her walk in. She wanted to be careful, and extra kind after Zayn had told her about Stephanie having cancer. The thought still shocked her mind completely, but she had to make it look natural. Stephanie's facial expression looked tense and worried. She wasn't the usual, pretty and cute Steph she was. 

"Rach, I.... I heard what happened. Zayn's in the hospital? The whole fire? How injured is he? And why did no one tell me!"

 "Hey, hey, Steph just calm down. Here sit down...." 

 "NO! I'm furious right now Rachel. No one told me! Is that how much you all really hate me? You really don't care that much to inform me that the guy I love almost died! Oh that's right, I'm just not important enough are I." Stephanie turned around and avoided eye contact with Rachel. 

Rachel covered her mouth with her hand startled by Stephanie's behaviour. She had no idea it had hurt her so bad. It was a horrible thing they did. Not letting Stephanie know? Out of all people?

 "I'm so sorry Steph, but that's not that truth at all. Of course we care about you and you would have been the first person we would have told. It's just that everything happened so fast, no one paid any attention to anything around them and all focus was mostly on whether Zayn was going to be okay or not. I was stuck in the fire myself for half the time."

 "I get that but you all went to the hospital without me too. You could have asked me to come. I'm not too far away from your cabins either. Zayn probably thinks I'm a horrible person that I didn't even show up to see him injured at the hospital. What kind of person am I?" Stephanie fell to the floor and held her face in her hands.

Rachel didn't know what to do. She felt so bad, but what could she tell Zayn? She was so worried about him herself at the time; she didn't care about half the other people around her to be honest. But if she were in Stephanie's shoes, she would have reacted the same. Rachel crouched down beside Stephanie and placed her hands gently around her shoulders. 

"Steph, please listen to me. I know we've made a big mistake, and I'm so sorry that we never told you, and you found out from someone else. I'm sorry you had to come at this time of night to ask me yourself. I really didn't realize how much this meant to you. I know you love Zayn, and he loves you too. He would never think of you like that. He already knows what you're going through, he'll understand!" Rachel cut herself off quickly and backed away.

  Oh shit. She just basically told Stephanie she knew her secret. Zayn never told her NOT to tell anyone... but still. It just won't seem right. She was so stupid! Stephanie looked up at her... and then surprisingly, broke into a smile.

 "Oh.... so you know about my little secret Rach?" She had a look of sadness and loss in her eyes that broke Rachel's heart.

 Even though at first she had no interest in becoming friends with Stephanie, and pretty much envied her since she got to spend so much time with Zayn and was his actual girlfriend.